Vodafone Mega Modem
Vodafone Mega Modem review: Vodafone's latest mobile broadband USB stick provides access to the telco's new 850MHz network
- Theoretical maximum speeds of 21.6Mbps on 850MHz network, microSD card slot, antenna port, ease of use and setup
- Chunky size, 850MHz network still being built
Vodafone's Mega Modem promises faster speeds than regular USB modems, but the full advantages of the 850MHz network won't be felt until it is finished being built.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Vodafone's Mega Modem USB stick (a fancy name for the K4505 mobile broadband modem) is one of the first devices to access Vodafone's new 850MHz 3G network. The new Vodafone network is claimed to provide better indoor coverage, stronger signal and faster data speeds.
Looking for a prepaid mobile broadband solution? Read our reviews of the best prepaid mobile broadband modems on the market.
As far as USB modems go, the Vodafone Mega Modem is a fairly standard affair, though it is a little chunkier than most standard USB sticks. The Mega Modem has a lightweight, glossy white plastic shell, an external antenna connection, a slide-out USB connector, and a microSD card slot that allows it to double as a portable flash drive. Unfortunately, the Vodafone Mega Modem's chunky shape means it prevented access to the second USB port on our 13in MacBook Pro. On larger notebooks this shouldn't be a problem, and it is more of a fault on Apple's part than Huawei's, the manufacturer of the Mega Modem. The Mega Modem also lacks a rotating USB connector, which would have reduced the risk of bumping it when connected to your notebook.
The Vodafone Mega Modem offers plug-and-play operation for Windows and Mac computers and supports download speeds of up to 21.6 megabits per second (Mbps), making it faster than both the K3765 mobile broadband USB stick and the K3571-Z mobile broadband USB stick.
The software required to use the Vodafone Mega Modem is stored on the device itself. The Mobile Broadband Lite program is easy to install and allows you to quickly access your prepaid account details and see sent and received data. It also provides direct links to Vodafone's Web site, where you can manage your account and check your current balance.
The Vodafone Mega Modem has a maximum download speed of 21.6Mbps and a maximum upload speed of 5.7Mbps. Vodafone claims the Mega Modem will provide a "practical peak rate" of 16.2Mbps on the HSPA+ network, but as with all mobile broadband devices the actual speed achieved will depend on a number of factors such as your location and equipment, network usage and coverage, and network congestion at the time.
Using our Broadband Speed Test, the Vodafone Mega Modem managed to achieve download speeds of up to 4Mbps, but regularly downloaded at around 2Mbps. Upload speeds were stable at around 1Mbps, but did occasionally rise over 1.5Mbps.
Vodafone sells the Mega Modem for $99 on month-to-month plans (it is not available on prepaid) but is free on all 12- and 24-month plans above $29/month. As a special introductory offer, Vodafone will sell the Mega Modem for $49 until 15 April.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- IEEE sets new Ethernet standard that brings 5X the speed without disruptive cable changes
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
- 5 ways Cisco could become an iPhone's best friend
- Skype is getting infused with conversational “bots”
- Anonabox promises a portable, streamlined way to use Tor to hide your online tracks
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTDevelopment Manager - SaaSQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTBid ManagerVIC
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTDeveloper/ ProgrammerSA
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- FTJunior ITIL Service AnalystVIC
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA