Vodafone Update for iPhone
A social-networking aggregation application for the iPhone, Vodafone Update combines Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn and Twitpic accounts into one interface.
- Clean user interface, easy to set up and straightforward to use, can update Facebook and Twitter simultaneously, free
- No access to Facebook private messages, can't add multiple Twitter accounts, no push notifications
Vodafone Update for iPhone lacks some features which heavy social-network users might find critical, but it's an easy and effective way to keep updated with multiple social-networking services. And it's free.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Social networking is serious business these days and, with many people using multiple Web sites and services, it's hard to keep up. A social-networking aggregation application for the iPhone, Vodafone Update combines Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn and Twitpic accounts into one interface.
The first time you fire up the Vodafone for update iPhone app, you'll be asked to enter your account details for the services you want to access. Once you've added your accounts and given permission for the app to access them, you'll be see what looks like a regular list of tweets, but with Facebook, MySpace and LinkedIn updates also displayed. A small icon on the right side of each post denotes which service an update is from.
Despite the aggregation of up to four social-networking services, Vodafone Update's interface is clean and easy to read. It has a similar look and feel to Tweetie 2, albeit without the scrolling down to refresh the list. Even if you add all available services, you can choose to view updates from just one or two, simply by tapping the relevant icon at the top of the friends list. Tapping on an update takes you to a "details" screen where you can "like" the status update or add a comment if its from Facebook, or reply, send a DM, add as a favourite, or view a user's profile if its from Twitter. You can also e-mail and retweet both Facebook status updates and tweets from the details screen.
The Vodafone Update iPhone app also allows you to update your Facebook status and send a tweet simultaneously. Tapping the "write update" button in the top right corner opens a text box where you can enter your update using the standard iPhone keyboard layout. Using the options menu, you can shrink a URL, upload or take a photo using Twitpic and geotag your update. You can also choose to send a just tweet or a just a Facebook status update by un-checking either the Facebook or Twitter icons above the keyboard.
Below the main screen you can switch between your list of friends, Twitter mentions, direct Twitter messages and Twitter search. The Twitter messages screen doesn't show Facebook private messages. In the 'more' tab you can see current Twitter trends, add or delete your accounts, go directly to a friend's profile, read your tweets, and see a list of nearby tweets (provided your iPhone's location services setting is turned on).
A critical feature missing from Vodafone Update is the ability to add multiple Twitter accounts, so this effectively rules out the app for those who may have a work and a private account, for example. It's also limited as you can't save searches in Twitter, can't access or edit lists and there is no way to save a potential update as a draft. There is also no option for push notifications.
Vodafone Update is also available for Android, BlackBerry, and Symbian S60 smartphones and can also be downloaded as a desktop client for your PC or Mac.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- India has shot down Apple's plan to sell refurbished iPhones
- Lab results find the iPhone SE fails the bendgate and waterproof test
- This iPhone SE teardown is pretty much what you’d expect
- US DOJ cracks San Bernardino shooter's iPhone
- Apple re-issues iOS 9.3 after crippling older devices, confusing customers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Payroll IntegrationVIC
- FTSharepoint DeveloperACT
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - master data managementACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW