Everything Search Engine
This free download quickly creates an index database of all your files
- Free, small memory footprint, speedy, advanced searches
- Server features can pose a security risk if you aren't careful
Everything Search Engine uses only a small amount of memory — 15MB on our test Windows XP computer, which is stuffed full of various files. If you want to try a fast, free option for finding your files, give Everything Search Engine a shot. If you also want to be able to search within a file, such as particular text within a Word doc, you might try Google Desktop.
Everything Search Engine allows for quick and easy name and location searches for, well, everything. This tiny, free download quickly creates an index database of all your files (but not their contents) and displays them in a simple, no-nonsense search window.
Search results display as you type, and techie types can construct advanced searches using wildcards, Boolean operators, and regular expressions. Non-experts can still get plenty of use out of basic searches such as "family*jpg" - which will quickly display any file that starts with "family," ends with "jpg," and has anything in between (represented by the "*" wildcard).
You can double-click a search result to take the default action, such as opening a Word doc or playing a movie file, or right-click to open its folder, rename it, or perform other actions. You can also drag and drop files listed in search results to other locations, as you would from an Explorer window.
By default, Everything Search Engine launches with system startup and runs in the system tray. Advanced users can also tell it to act as an HTTP or ETP (Everything Transfer Protocol)/FTP server, which allows for connecting to an Everything program running on another computer using Everything (for an ETP/FTP server) or a web browser.
You can then both search for and download files via the remote Everything Search Engine program, which can be pretty darned convenient — and also a big security risk if you don't know what you're doing. Don't enable either server feature unless you're sure your computer is protected by a separate firewall (not just one running on the same PC) that will prevent people on the internet from potentially getting to your files through Everything, and make sure you tell Everything to use a strong password for either server type.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Turnbull touts UNSW’s quantum capability as “world’s best”
- Microsoft Translator now translates text from images, increases language support
- Chrome turns 50 and stands at a crossroads
- YouTube dives into VR, live-streaming with 360 video
- Netflix stops insisting it will never support offline videos
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCSCCM - SCOM - AD Systems EngineerNSW
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- FTLevel 2 IT Field Systems Engineer/Administrator - Multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCSystem AnalystNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Automation Tester - MicroservicesNSW
- CCContract Analyst/Programmer II (Drupal 7.39/PHP) 160427/CAP/vccAsia
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSupport AnalystQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- CCFront End Developer x 2QLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- FTDatabase Administrator / ArchitectNSW
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- CCDigital Producer (Part Time 3 Days Per Week)NSW
- CCInfrastructure Assurance OfficerACT
- FTSenior Business Intelligence ManagerNSW