- Accepts external AV input
- No support for DivX, XviD or WMV formats
Though it doesn't include support for MPEG-4-based video formats, Voxson's entry-level SL-50 offers a clear, bright screen with Dolby Surround support. And you can even plug in an external input.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The SL-50 is the entry-level offering in Voxson's range of portable DVD players. The silver and grey unit sports a 7" screen (with a 16:9 aspect ratio) and closely resembles a small notebook. A volume control, dual headphone outputs, coaxial, AV and power connectors run down the right hand panel, while a group of navigation buttons sits next to the top-loading DVD tray.
The SL-50 can handle a range of media formats and had no problem with burnt discs during testing. Supported formats include DVDs, Kodak Picture CDs and audio CDs, or burnt discs containing MP3 or JPEG files.
Voxson has made every attempt to simplify setup and installation and has bundled a Quick Guide with the SL-50 to help cover basic operation. It gives examples (with diagrams) of functions like how to play a DVD, or connect to a TV or charger, and is a handy inclusion for anyone not comfortable with this technology.
The machine measures 21 x 16 x 41cm and ships with a car adapter. The bundled rechargeable battery proved good for nearly 3 hours of use away from a power source. The battery features its own power connector, so you can charge it while watching a DVD (provided you have two power adapters).
There's also a small silver remote control, although given that most portable DVD players (including the SL-50) sport 7" screens, it's rare that you would watch a movie from further than arm's reach away. It would come in handy for times when the device is connected to a TV to play back in a lounge or hotel room.
Both NTSC and PAL formats are supported, and the machine can handle progressive scan playback.
One relatively unusual feature is the ability to plug in an external AV source for playback on the SL-50. In testing, we connected up a game console for a few quick frags, and it worked flawlessly.
The SL-50 offers a clear, bright screen with Dolby Surround support. It's let down by a lack of support for video formats like DivX or WMV, but it's acceptable for an entry-level model. Add a game console and car adapter, and you could keep the kids quiet for hours on a long trip.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- CCInfrastructure Assurance OfficerACT
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCMid or Senior Developer - Mobile Applications - (iOS)NSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCIT Program Delivery Office Lead- Government BackgroundNSW
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- FTData AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW