- Tablet-style form factor, good audio
- No support for MPEG-4-based video formats
The Voxson SL-77 offers quality DVD playback on the road, but a lack of support for compressed formats like DivX and XviD limits its appeal for power users.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Voxson's SL-77 features a slot-loading optical drive instead of the top-loading versions favoured by most portable DVD players. As a result, it eschews the clamshell or notebook style designed in favour of a tablet shape. It has 7" LCD in a 16:9 aspect ratio, which sits in the centre of the silver front face, flanked by a grey border. Below is a pair of speakers, infrared sensor and navigation buttons. All connectors are found on the left-hand panel of the 20 x 16 x 4cm device, including a headphone output volume control, video output port, optical audio out port and 12V power socket.
The rechargeable lithium ion battery snaps onto the base and doubles as a stand for tabletop operation. There's also a bundled remote control for the times you want to plug it into a TV. Like in the entry-level SL-50, Voxson's SL-77 can accept an AV input, so it's possible to connect a console to the unit for mobile gaming.
The machine can't handle video compression formats such as XviD and DivX, and can only play back DVD and audio CDs or burned discs containing MP3 or JPEG images. This wouldn't be a serious limitation for most users, but for watching DivX or WMV movies on the road, you would be better off opting for a model with specific support.
The machine worked flawlessly in our tests, managing to play back all tested DVD videos and audio CDs. It output correctly to both PAL and NTSC televisions.
The SL-77 includes a dedicated Dolby decoder, and the audio quality was outstanding when matched to a pair of quality headphones. The display was clear, and bright enough to be used in the back of a car. Unfortunately, unlike some other models in Voxson's range, the SL-77 doesn't ship with a car adapter, so you would have to pick one up separately if you intended to use it on the road.
The tablet form factor of the SL-77 is appealing, and the machine ships with a one-year warranty.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - APS 6 non-ongoingACT
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCMid-level Java Developer / Programmer (Contract) Finance CBDNSW
- CCNetwork Systems Engineer l Application Support l Linux l Port MacquarieNSW
- FTSecurity Incident / SOC Analyst (Tier 1) - Permanent - North Ryde BasedNSW
- FTApplication Developer - FileNetQLD
- TPAndroid DeveloperSA
- TPSenior Test Analyst - TAFEQLD
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Travel and Expense Management SystemQLD
- FTBI Tech Lead l Informatica ETL , Microstrategy, Big Data TechnologiesNSW
- TPPrincipal Business Analyst - DAFFQLD
- FTTechnology Testing Services ManagerQLD
- TPProject Services OpportunitiesSA
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity System EngineerSA
- FTIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst-DevOpsNSW
- CCFIS Connex Developer (Brisbane Based)Other
- FTInfrastructure Solution ArchitectSA
- TPTechnical Solutions Architect-Dynamics CRMVIC