Webroot Internet Security Essentials
An assembly of Webroot's Spy Sweeper anti-spyware with other companies' malware protection
- Undoubtedly good at stopping malware
WISE is the proverbial curate’s egg and suffers from appearing to be a suite cobbled together from various components. It’s undoubtedly good at stopping malware but its not the fastest around and its firewall isn’t cutting edge. Overall, an unbalanced security suite.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Webroot Internet Security Essentials is an assembly of Webroot's Spy Sweeper anti-spyware with other companies' malware protection
Webroot is perhaps most well known for its best-of-breed anti-spyware tool, Spy Sweeper. Webroot Internet Security Essentials - or WISE - builds on the strengths of this by adding anti-virus, firewall and automatic backup, to create a security bundle.
These aren't in-house add-ons - the anti-virus comes courtesy of Sophos, the firewall from PWI PrivateFirewall and the backup from the well-regarded SOS Backup Online.
The WISE bundle covers most security angles but anti-spam, personal information and parental controls are absent. Given the suite's name, these must be considered non-essential, presumably!
However, the package's simplicity doesn't make WISE fleet of foot. Not only is installation relatively slow but you'll notice longer boot times once WISE is installed.
WISE's user interface, which uses muted autumnal colours, is based in that found in Spy Sweeper. The core of WISE rests on over a dozen 'shields', each one designed to detect and prevent specific types of malware.
The spyware side of WISE achieves the usual high Webroot standard, as does the AV side, scoring goods results with the independent testing labs such as ICSA and West Coast Labs and obtaining four VB100 scores out of the past five Virus Bulletin tests.
As well as offering a full range of protection WISE also incorporates a gamer mode to ensure you can play games uninterrupted. However this appears to turn off some protection rather than just the irritating pop-ups. Scanning is also a tad slow. Apart from this, we have no real complaints on the malware side.
The firewall didn't disappoint, successfully ‘stealthing' the first 1056 ports according to the GRC ShieldsUp! test. The firewall learns your Internet usage over a definable period but this initially allows access for all programs, even the bad ones.
WISE's backup lets you backup either locally or online: you get 2GB of online backup space and extra capacity can be bought. Even with fast broadband the initial backup was painfully slow, which is only to be expected.
However, subsequent backups are much faster because only changes to existing files are backed up. You can access your backed-up files from any Internet connected PC, which could prove handy in a scrape.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Facebook Messenger testing Snapchat-style disappearing messages for iOS
- Why your iPhone-unlocking fingerprint is susceptible to law enforcement search warrants
- Valve cleverly battles Steam cheaters with two-factor authentication
- Microsoft to begin SHA-1 crypto shutoff with Windows 10's summer upgrade
- Money laundering using bitcoin a ‘significant’ risk, finds govt review
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Payroll IntegrationVIC
- FTSharepoint DeveloperACT
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - master data managementACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW