Western Digital Caviar SE Serial ATA - 250GB
- Quiet,Fast transfer speeds, Low heat
- None to speak of.
The 160GB drive is the perfect fit for a mid-range PC, while the 250GB drive will compliment a top-of-the-line configuration nicely.
Price$ 289.00 (AUD)
Compared to a previous generation of Caviar drives that we tested in January 2004, the current crop of Caviar drives have much-improved performance, lower heat emissions and practically silent performance.
Some very clever algorithms have been used to achieve these characteristics--they are employed to manipulate the voltage supply to the mechanical parts of the drive and also to better control the passage of data between the heads, buffer and SATA interface components of the drive.
The noise reduction comes from improved methods of control over the seek, read and write functions of the drive, along with a more efficient power supply design for the drive's motor. In turn, the power consumption of the motor has been more strictly controlled through the drive's firmware, which results in much less heat generation.
The drives we tested in this review are the 160GB WD1600JD and 250GB WD2500JD models. These are both SATA drives.
The 160GB and 250GB models both feature new SATA-style power connectors in addition to the older molex-style power connectors. Both drives also feature SecureConnect, which is a cable mounting design that ensures the SATA data connection on the drive is never compromised. It requires the use of a special SATA cable that plugs into square mounts either side of the SATA port and SATA power connector.
Both the WD1600JD and the WD2500JD feature an 8MB memory buffer and a 7200rpm spin speed. Fluid dynamic bearings also help keep the drive's vibration, noise and wear to a minimum.
During testing, we noticed the WD1600JD had a very low heat emission--just 37.9 degrees. Likewise, the WD2500JD only warmed up to 39 degrees during our 31GB test file transfer. Compared to other drives we have tested, this is a remarkable temperature.
During the data transfer test, both drives were virtually silent and transferred data at high speed. The 160GB drive transferred 927MB per minute, while the 250GB drive transferred 985MB per minute--a very fast result.
The WD1600JD and WD2500JD have competitive costs-per-gigabyte. The 160GB drive is the perfect fit for a mid-range PC, while the 250GB drive will complement a top-of-the-line configuration nicely. Western Digital provides a three-year warranty for both these drives.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Toshiba to cut 6800 jobs, focus on storage and energy
- Consumer SSDs and hard drive prices are nearing parity
- Lexar launches new USB JumpDrives
- Seagate breaks through the 1TB-per-platter barrier for laptop drives
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTSystems Engineer / Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- CCChange LeadNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Online Gaming SystemsNSW
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- FTProject Manager | SharePoint, Office 365 SkillsVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - SecurityNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Biomedical - South Australia locationSA
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- CCSAP Primavera Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- CCSenior Change Analyst - Multiple RolesVIC
- CCCitrix Systems EngineerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Customer Engagement / NPSVIC
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- CCLync/Skype EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Product Specialist - Cisco CPENSW
- CCSSIS/ SSRS ExpertVIC
- CCIT Performance Test AnalystACT
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- FTChange & Communications OfficerQLD
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW