Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II (WDH2Q20000)
Big, green and surprisingly quiet
- Energy efficient, simple and elegant design, runs quietly, good software
- Slower read/write speed than comparable devices
It's quiet, it's energy efficient and it’s 2TB of space in an easily connectible box. The Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II may not be the fastest kid on the block, but it isn’t a slow coach and it is customisable enough to suit most situations.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Although the Western Digital 'My Book' Studio Edition II is nominally aimed at Mac lovers, there's little to keep PC users from enjoying this flexible and energy-efficient 2TB unit.
With three types of connections spread over four ports on the back of the device (2 x FireWire S800, 1 x eSATA and 1 x mini-USB 2.0), the My Book is equipped for the modern computer user — although those with FireWire S400 connections will need a converter.
Inside the elegantly simple plastic exterior, which is virtually identical to the previous Western Digital My Book Studio, are two 'Green Power' hard drives that provide the storage. Due to the drives being formatted for use with Macs, PC users will need to convert the hard drives from HFS+ to NTFS via Disk Management in Windows Vista. This will leave two drives of 905GB each to play with, for a total of 1.81TB of storage.
By using the WD RAID Manager program that comes bundled with the storage centre, the drives' RAID configuration can be changed so that they mirror each other. This means that if one of the drives is disabled or damaged, the data will still be safe and available on the other.
Another useful piece of bundled software is WD Anywhere Backup. This simple program allows users to quickly select the folders they want backed up as well as the proposed drive location in three easy steps (the software code required to extend use beyond 30 days is hidden away on the back of the fold-out manual).
Both drives are proudly green: our power readings showed that both when reading and writing the WD hit a peak energy consumption level of 17 Watts. When the connection to a computer is severed, the 'My Book' detects this and drops power consumption to a low 7 Watts.
The My Book's performance is nothing spectacular. During testing we transferred 5GB of data between it and a 320GB Seagate hard drive that spins at 7200rpm. For the S800 FireWire connection, the My Book managed write and read speeds of 26.57MBps and 39.73MBps respectively, while the USB 2.0 managed to score 28.97MBps and 31.10MBps. The eSATA port connection was more impressive, managing to read data at a speed of 49.38MBps and write at 58.95MBps.
At a price of $699, this device offers 2TB of energy-efficient storage for 39c/GB. If you're a user who needs plenty of space constantly at the ready, then the My Book may be for you. If you're looking for performance, however, look elsewhere.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Nvidia's DGX-1 supercomputer packs the horsepower of 250 servers
- Intel's new SSDs are advance scouts for NVMe
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCUAT Test AnalystWA
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTSupport AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSAP BW developerVIC
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCChange Lead/Senior Change Analyst - Transformation projectNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - BINSW
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- FTChange Lead- DigitalVIC
- CCJava Developer- 12 month contractNSW