Western Digital My Passport Elite
A fast and cheap 500GB external drive.
- Fast read/write speeds, cost-effective, runs cool and quiet
- Design is slightly dull, Google bloatware, the MioNet suite included is only a trial version
The Western Digital My Passport Elite is fast, cost-effective and easy to use. If you're happy with the design, then this is a drive you should check out.
Price$ 319.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- WD My Passport Carrying Case - Blue 34.99
Western Digital's My Passport Elite is a 500GB external hard drive that's faster and cheaper than the 500GB Seagate FreeAgent Go, but it doesn't look as stylish.
With a formatted capacity of 465GB and a cost per gigabyte of 68.6 cents, this latest edition of the Passport is better value than both the Seagate FreeAgent Go and the previous generation My Passport Elite 320GB.
Performance hasn't been sacrificed for pricing. The unit is a Scorpio Blue (WD5000BEVT) in a case with a USB 2.0 mini-USB output for connecting the drive to a PC. The Elite has two internal 250GB platters and an 8MB cache. The 2.5in drive spins at 5400rpm and is a strong all-round performer.
We tested the Passport Elite by transferring 5GB worth of files between the hard drive and a test PC equipped with a 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda ES2.
The Passport Elite achieved read and write speeds of 30.61 megabytes per second and 25.37MBps, respectively. Copying files from one location on the drive to another was completed at an average speed of 14.45MBps. All of these speeds are faster than the FreeAgent Go by at least 1MBps in all cases. Throughout all of our testing the My Passport Elite remained cool and relatively quiet.
The Seagate drive managed to make half a terabyte of storage fit into a design that was slim, sleek and sexy, Western Digital has decided to use exactly the same design as last time, and at 126.15(L)x79.5(W)x15(H)mm it is harder to fit into you pocket than the FreeAgent Go.
The Passport Elite has a series of lights that show the user when the drive is active and roughly how much storage space is being used.
The software that comes bundled with the Passport Elite comprises a backup manager (WDBackup), a file synchronisation manager (WDSync), MioNet (which allows remote data retrieval when Internet access is available) and a collection of Google applications. While the first two are useful and easy to install, the Google apps aren't much better than bloatware. Although the MioNet suite is very useful, the program is just a 30-day trial.
In the end, it's difficult to fault the WD Passport Elite. Not only is it faster than the FreeAgent Go, it is also better value. If you don't mind the design, then this is one external hard drive that is definitely worth checking out.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence - Policy and Governance ManagerNSW
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- CCCommunication LeadVIC
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- CCPractice Lead - Java, FrontendVIC
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- CCLead Business AnalystNSW
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL) 1600803/SA/255Asia
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCSharepoint Analyst DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC
- CCTrainer - Windows 10 / Office 2016ACT
- CCProject Manager CCTVNSW
- CCUX/UI Designer DeveloperWA
- CCProject Support Officer (Project Scheduler)WA
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD