Xandros Desktop OS Deluxe 2.5
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Want to give Linux a try with little fuss and bewilderment? Xandros may have just what you're looking for. We took the $129 Xandros Desktop OS Deluxe 2.5 for a spin and were pleased to find that everything just plain worked.
Installation is a snap (and in-cludes automatic disk partitioning), and the tasks of connecting to a Windows network and outputting to its printers (almost always a chore in Linux) are as easy as on a Windows PC. You can dual boot with Windows XP and drag and drop to burn CDs from the Xandros File Manager. We also had no problem accessing Flash and RealPlayer content as we travelled the Web. In the lower-right corner is an application-launching menu, plus a taskbar and a system tray. Strange surroundings for a Windows expatriate? Hardly. Xandros provides a fantastic utility that not only handles online updates but also lets you seek out lots of goodies from the world of free software. The OpenOffice.org suite is included, as is CrossOver Office, a commercial product that lets you run certain Windows applications, including Microsoft Office and Photoshop.
The $189 Xandros Desktop OS Business 2.5 edition also furthers the bundle by including Sun StarOffice Suite, Citrix client software, IBM Terminal emulators, Windows PDC and Active directory server authentication and 90 days of e-mail technical support.
Not everything is perfect. Interface fonts are inconsistent between programs. Also, when we drag a file out of the File Manager and onto the desktop, we want the icon to appear where I dropped it, instead of scampering up to the top-left corner of the screen. Finally, the Xandros Control Center (think Windows XP's Control Panel) is a labyrinthine nightmare, with some 67 configuration applets scattered across nine categories.
I expect the Xandros team to add more polish to its distribution in future versions, addressing some of these issues. But as it stands, this is an excellent bridge product for people who are comfortable with the Windows way of doing things but want to move away from Windows itself.
Interestingly, Xandros has also made its Desktop OS Open Circulation Edition (with pared down features) available completely free if you use BitTorrent peer-to-peer software to download it from www.xandros.com/about/downloads.html.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
- A lawsuit over an unwanted Windows 10 upgrade just cost Microsoft $10,000
- Obama, Zuckerberg push better broadband, innovative startups
- Former NBN CEO joins Tony Windsor on campaign trail
- Pirate website blocking: Court to wrestle with definition of ‘online location’
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCArchitect (AWS)NSW
- CCSharepoint ConsultantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/ SQL/Web) 160708/AP/352Asia
- FTUX DesignerVIC
- CCSenior Project Delivery ManagerACT
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- FTTechnical Support - ImplementationsVIC
- CCLead Communications ConsultantWA
- CCSolution Analyst - CloudVIC
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- CCIT Technical Writer- understanding in RDMBS,Web server, StorageNSW
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- FTTechnical Services ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Impact AssessmentsVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCSr Business Analyst FI/CO, ERP, Procurement, Payroll, HR, SAPNSW
- CCProject/ Program AnalystVIC
- FTProject Manager - Insurance experience neededNSW
- CCIntegration ArchitectNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- CCProject Analyst/ CoordinatorVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Integration background)NSW
- CCHybrid Mobile App DeveloperNSW