- Great bass response, Look Stylish
- Hard to get a good fit, Sound isn’t the greatest
They don’t sound the best, but if you’re after great bass, then the FS1s are in your ball park.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
You all know the story; in-ear phones are great, if you can get them to fit properly. While they generally sound pretty good, those who like their bass heavy just aren't covered here. Well, if you fall into that category, then XtremeMac's FS1 High Definition Earphones are exactly what you've been screaming out for.
XtremeMac, who has until recently stuck to iPod accessories such as FM transmitters and leather cases, has decided to delve into the headphone market and produce what they call "professional grade, full-spectrum audio" earphones. Well, we have to say from the outset that we wouldn't go that far; in fact, there are many other in-ear phones that sound much better than the FS1s for around about the same price. However, what the FS1 offers over the competition is excellent and rich bass response, which is quite an achievement for in-ear headphones.
Finished in a white and grey design which perfectly suits the iPod, the FS1's look quite awkward. Our fears were confirmed as soon as we attempted to place them in our ears. It seemed no matter what tips we used (the FS1 includes three different sized silicone tips as well as two foam tips) we couldn't get a proper seal. We ended up sticking with the standard silicone tips, but we still felt uncomfortable after long periods of use; the curved design of the buds didn't seem to help either.
In terms of sound quality, the FS1s aren't the greatest. The biggest disadvantage is that the sound for most part is very distant and the midrange is quite lacking; at times it sounds as though there is a large hole in the music. This isn't really what we were expecting from headphones in this price range. In saying this, they are very efficient; the desired listening volume doesn't have to be very loud at all.
Undoubtedly the best feature of these headphones is their bass response; full and sharp. For those who enjoy the low end sound, then you'll love what these are capable of. If you can get them to fit snugly and feel comfortable, you should be extremely happy with them, but audiophiles need not apply here. Included in the sales package of the FS1 is a convenient zip-up carry case, replacement tips and a handy wax cleaner.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPJunior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSnr Salesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- TPNetwork AdministratorWA
- TPMedia AssistantNSW
- FTApplication Support LeadQLD
- FTTest Advert Software EngineerSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Forecasting SASNSW
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst- Data GovernanceNSW
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- FTFunctional Consultant - CommercialsQLD
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- CCAutomation Developer - LinuxNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager Office 365 ImplementationVIC
- CCTest Manager with PV Security ClearanceACT
- TPProcess Business Analyst - Digital InnovationNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystACT
- FTField Services EngineerWA
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTDrupal Developer - Senior or Mid levelQLD