- Great bass response, Look Stylish
- Hard to get a good fit, Sound isn’t the greatest
They don’t sound the best, but if you’re after great bass, then the FS1s are in your ball park.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
You all know the story; in-ear phones are great, if you can get them to fit properly. While they generally sound pretty good, those who like their bass heavy just aren't covered here. Well, if you fall into that category, then XtremeMac's FS1 High Definition Earphones are exactly what you've been screaming out for.
XtremeMac, who has until recently stuck to iPod accessories such as FM transmitters and leather cases, has decided to delve into the headphone market and produce what they call "professional grade, full-spectrum audio" earphones. Well, we have to say from the outset that we wouldn't go that far; in fact, there are many other in-ear phones that sound much better than the FS1s for around about the same price. However, what the FS1 offers over the competition is excellent and rich bass response, which is quite an achievement for in-ear headphones.
Finished in a white and grey design which perfectly suits the iPod, the FS1's look quite awkward. Our fears were confirmed as soon as we attempted to place them in our ears. It seemed no matter what tips we used (the FS1 includes three different sized silicone tips as well as two foam tips) we couldn't get a proper seal. We ended up sticking with the standard silicone tips, but we still felt uncomfortable after long periods of use; the curved design of the buds didn't seem to help either.
In terms of sound quality, the FS1s aren't the greatest. The biggest disadvantage is that the sound for most part is very distant and the midrange is quite lacking; at times it sounds as though there is a large hole in the music. This isn't really what we were expecting from headphones in this price range. In saying this, they are very efficient; the desired listening volume doesn't have to be very loud at all.
Undoubtedly the best feature of these headphones is their bass response; full and sharp. For those who enjoy the low end sound, then you'll love what these are capable of. If you can get them to fit snugly and feel comfortable, you should be extremely happy with them, but audiophiles need not apply here. Included in the sales package of the FS1 is a convenient zip-up carry case, replacement tips and a handy wax cleaner.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
- Sennheiser's new DJ range of headphones
- B&W P5 headphones to become the ultimate luxury accessory
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCProject Manager- Wealth and AdviceNSW
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- CCWeb Content WriterSA
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Scrum/Pega SystemsNSW
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCCisco Program Manager - Data Centre/Security ImplementationNSW
- FTWeb Programmer/ DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - CanberraNSW
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- CCInfrastructure ConsultantNSW
- CCRecords Officer - CanberraACT
- FTManager, Portfolio GovernanceNSW
- CCAngularJS DeveloperNSW