- No pre-programmed functions
If you need a cheap and cheerful Universal Remote, the Z150 will do the job
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
When it comes to Universal Remote Controls, they don't get more frustrating than the Zensonic Z150. Unlike most competitive models, the Z150 lacks any pre-programmed functions, meaning you have to sit there and program every button manually. If you want to use the maximum number of supported devices (eight in total), you will have to painfully program over 250 buttons which is a chore, to say the least.
The user manual does not sufficiently explain how to program the remote, neglecting to mention a second infrared sensor strangely positioned on the underside of the unit. The lack of detail in the manual isn't too surprising though, given that it is approximately the size of a postage stamp. Programming the remote involves an almost medieval system of inserting a pin into one of various holes in the lower underside of the remote labeled learn, edit, clear, time/date and reset. This system is woefully inadequate and technologically retrograde.
After you have weathered these flaws and actually programmed the Z150, it is fairly easy to use. The layout and design are comfortable and the remote feels light and responsive. The build quality of the unit isn't especially great but it doesn't feel as if it's about to fall apart. While you will find almost every standard button included on the remote, if a particular button is missing, there are no soft keys to replace it with.. The Zensonic also includes a backlight feature which is only semi-useful as it is necessary to hold down a button to keep the light active. This forces you to use your second hand to operate other buttons. The last notable feature is the macro function. This works well, enabling a succession of commands to be programmed onto a single button but It's nothing we haven't seen before.
Once you've solved the challenge of programming the device, the remote is a solid, albeit, unspectacular performer. With a relatively low price, however, the Z150 is an adequate replacement for your remote control collection.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Data GovernanceNSW
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSolutions ArchitectSA
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTApplication Support Analyst - Mortgage SolutionNSW
- FTETL Informatica DeveloperNSW
- FTFull Stack .Net Developer Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCSenior Commercial AnalystNSW
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectWA
- FTICT Security AnalystQLD
- FTSQL Server DBA- 2016 RDBMS, SSIS, SRS, Certified DBANSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTC# (Full Stack) DeveloperNSW
- FTService Delivery ManagerWA
- TPDeployment OfficerQLD
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTChief Security OfficerNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTJunior Applications SupportQLD
- FTAgile CoachVIC
- FTDesign Specialist - TelecomNSW
- FTMS Dynamics DevelopersNSW
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- CCChange LeadNSW