- No pre-programmed functions
If you need a cheap and cheerful Universal Remote, the Z150 will do the job
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
When it comes to Universal Remote Controls, they don't get more frustrating than the Zensonic Z150. Unlike most competitive models, the Z150 lacks any pre-programmed functions, meaning you have to sit there and program every button manually. If you want to use the maximum number of supported devices (eight in total), you will have to painfully program over 250 buttons which is a chore, to say the least.
The user manual does not sufficiently explain how to program the remote, neglecting to mention a second infrared sensor strangely positioned on the underside of the unit. The lack of detail in the manual isn't too surprising though, given that it is approximately the size of a postage stamp. Programming the remote involves an almost medieval system of inserting a pin into one of various holes in the lower underside of the remote labeled learn, edit, clear, time/date and reset. This system is woefully inadequate and technologically retrograde.
After you have weathered these flaws and actually programmed the Z150, it is fairly easy to use. The layout and design are comfortable and the remote feels light and responsive. The build quality of the unit isn't especially great but it doesn't feel as if it's about to fall apart. While you will find almost every standard button included on the remote, if a particular button is missing, there are no soft keys to replace it with.. The Zensonic also includes a backlight feature which is only semi-useful as it is necessary to hold down a button to keep the light active. This forces you to use your second hand to operate other buttons. The last notable feature is the macro function. This works well, enabling a succession of commands to be programmed onto a single button but It's nothing we haven't seen before.
Once you've solved the challenge of programming the device, the remote is a solid, albeit, unspectacular performer. With a relatively low price, however, the Z150 is an adequate replacement for your remote control collection.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Amazon's faster new Fire TV Stick comes with an Alexa-enabled voice remote
- 4K Chromecast Ultra details leak ahead of Google event
- Sonos comes to the Apple store, but what does that mean for Beats speakers?
- Plex Cloud lets you say goodbye to your always-on home media server
- Sony's first 4K Blu-ray player reminds you what a steal the Xbox One S truly is
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW