Zensonic Z710 Wireless Headphones
- Recharger on base station, low cost, good range
- Low-level white noise, slightly uncomfortable cups
The Z710 is a low-cost analog wireless headphone set. It's decent for the money, but can't match the digital wireless headphones for quality.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
With some nice features and decent audio quality, the analog Zensonic Z710 wireless headphones are good value for $99, but they won't knock the socks off audio purists.
The discreet base station, roughly the size of a pack of cards, acts both as transmitter and recharger for the headphones. Multiple sets of Zensonic headphones can tune into the one broadcast from a base station.
The closed-cup headphones are mid-sized, with integral volume control and tuning dial (to tune to base station). We found the elongated cups a little on the hard and uncomfortable side, and the elastic bridge does not allow fixed adjustments for those of us with wacky-shaped heads, but your mileage may vary. The official frequency response range of the headphones is 20Hz to 20kHz, and Zensonic claims less than 1% distortion and a SNR of greater than 45dB.
In our tests, the headphones demonstrated excellent range, moving undiminished through several rooms and walls, up to 15m away from the base station (Zensonic claims it's capable of reception up to 100m). In spite of our intense tuning efforts, and switching between the three available channels on the base station, we could not eliminate a distracting low-frequency line noise from the transmission. This line noise was present at all ranges, although the intensity often varied depending on intervening objects between the headphones and the base station. We also lost transmission on several occasions at long range, and had to re-tune the headphones. The headphones operate in the 815MHz frequency range, avoiding the 2.4GHz frequency used by Wi-Fi.
The quality of the audio from the cups was excellent, delivering very clean bass and good high ranges. Its volume was a bit limited, but should be enough unless you really like to blow your eardrums. According to Zensonic, the two AAA batteries deliver about 5 to 6 hours running time, and the recharger on the base station ensures that you're unlikely to ever need to switch batteries.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCProject Manager - Healthcare DomainSA
- CCSystems Engineer - NV2ACT
- CCSAP Project ManagersNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- FTNV1, NV2 Network Engineers | Permanent role with diverse Defence projectsACT
- CCDomain Specialist | Multiple RolesVIC
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Programmer (HTML/JAVA/SQL) 160525/P/013Asia
- FTInfrastructure Specialist VMwareNSW
- CCProject Manager - Business IntelligenceVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCMessaging Engineer - BAU SupportNSW
- FTTechnical Services SpecialistACT
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- CCScrum MasterACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET C#/MS ASP .NET) 160526/AP/263Asia
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- CCChange manager/Change LeadNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/.Net) 160523/AP/254Asia