ZJMedia WinAVI Video Converter
A nice little video conversion utility that creates VCDs, SVCDs and DVDs.
- Interface is elegant and simple, works as advertised
- Doesn't convert to iPod or any other MPEG-4/h.264 format
WinAVI Video Converter works as advertised, although to get rid of the free demo version's watermarks you'll need to shell out for the full version. Our only caveat is that if you work with video often, you might be happier in the long run with something more full-featured (if more expensive). Cyberlink's PowerDirector, for instance, supports more formats (including FLV and h.264), and offers video editing to boot.
Price$ 47.71 (AUD)
WinAVI Video Converter is a nice little video conversion utility that creates VCDs, SVCDs and DVDs.
We converted a number of files to WMV, AVI, RM (Realmedia) and MPEG-1/2 using the program and created a single DVD with nary a problem. However, it doesn't convert to iPod or any other MPEG-4/h.264 format.
As well as in effect counting out the world's number one media player, this aspect if WinAVI Video Converter is an issue in terms of disk space - h.264 can save you a lot of it compared to AVI, WMV and MPEG-1/2.
The other thing lacking in WinAVI Video Converter is FLV import (the favoured format of YouTube and may other video sites), for which you'll need to buy a different product from the company - WinAVI FLV Converter.
The WinAVI Video Converter interface is elegant and simple. Choose the destination format using the buttons on the main screen, choose a file to convert and its destination, then click ok and wait.
Unfortunately, though we had the latest version of Quicktime Lite installed, WinAVI Video Converter didn't recognise it. We went to the full version of Quicktime and WinAVI Converter still balked. This seemed odd, as it did seem to recognise other DirectShow filters such as Xvid.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Buggy Windows 7 cumulative update? Just tell us, says Microsoft
- Microsoft fleshes out seismic change to Windows patching
- Successful launch for second NBN satellite
- Where's the bottom for Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
- ICANN transition moves forward, despite last-minute attempt to block it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior programmer / ProgrammerAsia
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTProgram SchedulerNSW
- FTDelivery LeadNSW
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 161014/CO/vmtAsia
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161114/ITA/411Asia
- FTSOE ConsultantACT
- CCPerformance AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL) 161018/AP/812Asia
- FTSoftware Developers | .Net 4.6 | Multiple RolesNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (12-month renewable Contract)Asia
- FTMobile Delivery Manager / Studio LeadNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystVIC
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerSA
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (PC LAN Support) 161028/JP/203Asia
- CCSystem TestersQLD
- FTSalesforce Subject Matter ExpertNSW
- FTProject ManagerSA
- CCCisco Wi-Fi Network Engineer - SurveyorNSW
- FTDigital DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP FIORIACT
- CCOracle Functional Consultant | 6mth ContractVIC
- FTWeb DeveloperNSW