ZJMedia WinAVI Video Converter
A nice little video conversion utility that creates VCDs, SVCDs and DVDs.
- Interface is elegant and simple, works as advertised
- Doesn't convert to iPod or any other MPEG-4/h.264 format
WinAVI Video Converter works as advertised, although to get rid of the free demo version's watermarks you'll need to shell out for the full version. Our only caveat is that if you work with video often, you might be happier in the long run with something more full-featured (if more expensive). Cyberlink's PowerDirector, for instance, supports more formats (including FLV and h.264), and offers video editing to boot.
Price$ 47.71 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
WinAVI Video Converter is a nice little video conversion utility that creates VCDs, SVCDs and DVDs.
We converted a number of files to WMV, AVI, RM (Realmedia) and MPEG-1/2 using the program and created a single DVD with nary a problem. However, it doesn't convert to iPod or any other MPEG-4/h.264 format.
As well as in effect counting out the world's number one media player, this aspect if WinAVI Video Converter is an issue in terms of disk space - h.264 can save you a lot of it compared to AVI, WMV and MPEG-1/2.
The other thing lacking in WinAVI Video Converter is FLV import (the favoured format of YouTube and may other video sites), for which you'll need to buy a different product from the company - WinAVI FLV Converter.
The WinAVI Video Converter interface is elegant and simple. Choose the destination format using the buttons on the main screen, choose a file to convert and its destination, then click ok and wait.
Unfortunately, though we had the latest version of Quicktime Lite installed, WinAVI Video Converter didn't recognise it. We went to the full version of Quicktime and WinAVI Converter still balked. This seemed odd, as it did seem to recognise other DirectShow filters such as Xvid.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
- Michelle Rowland to lead broadband fight for Labor
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer (SCCM/SOE)WA
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCSAP MM / Ariba Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCProject Support Officer (Project Scheduler)WA
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC
- FTSystems Administrator, Linux, Networking, AWSNSW
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCApplication Service TechnicianVIC
- CCServiceNow Technical LeadNSW
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCField Engineer - POSTAS
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- CCSenior Test AnalystWA
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- FTServicenow DeveloperVIC
- FTSecurity ExpertACT
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperWA