Much as we love WiFi, even the latest routers can have trouble reaching important places. For many people this means connecting a main computer or a games console to a router in another part of the house – and PC users don’t like connecting by WiFi: it’s just plain wrong (plus the unreliability of ping and connection speed is not good for things like gaming).
With old IP networks, security is implemented by devices that are deployed at the edge. However, in the cloud era - where data centre and networks converge and access becomes increasingly mobile, the concept of the perimeter disappears.
Check out some of the great tech bargains we've rounded up.
The Novatel Intelligent Mobile Hotspot MiFi 2352 is a totally wireless 3G modem that shares its connection like a Wi-Fi router.
Grab cheap printers, TVs and a free game on the way back to school
Aimed at users without access to fixed line cable or ADSL Internet services, Telstra's BigPond Elite Wireless Network Gateway is a 3G modem/router that provides wireless access to Telstra's Next G network. The BigPond Elite Wireless Network Gateway works well, but neither it nor Telstra's wireless broadband plans come cheap.
We braved bedbugs, bad PR people, long taxi lines, and greasy convention-center food, all to find the hottest new gadgets and gear.
Setting up the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH wireless router for the first time is easy using the bundled CD, which contains the user manual and configuration tool. Thereafter, you can wall mount or stand it up using the stand provided, and manage it through its web interface.
In many households today, broadband Internet connections are used not only for e-mail and Web browsing, but also to stream music and video, play online games and/or perhaps make voice calls using a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service.
Whether at home or at the office, networking has gone mainstream. Once upon a time, a computer had value as a stand-alone machine running applications, but that time has passed. Without an ability to access the Internet, retrieve e-mail, chat via instant messaging, and connect with file shares and software, the computer is little more than an expensive paperweight.
With Skype's legal troubles now cleared up, it's a good time to learn more about the company than just what features it offers. Here 10 questions designed to give you a better understanding of the peer-to-peer VoIP vendor.
iiNet's BoB -- "Broadband in a Box" -- is an ADSL2+ modem router with built-in VoIP support that combines telephony, Internet access and both wired and wireless networking in a sleek and slim package.
Naked ADSL (or Naked DSL) is a term that refers to an ADSL service that can be installed on a phone line that doesn't have an active phone number attached to it. It's a service that's particularly worthwhile for anyone who does not use their landline to make phone calls, and also for anyone who uses voice over IP (VoIP) service (like Skype) instead of a regular landline to make phone calls.
With Naked ADSL you can get fast ADSL2+ speeds and save money by avoiding line rental fees. We explain what you need to know before making the leap to Naked ADSL.
Linksys’ first simultaneous dual-band 802.11n router is one of the best on the market, providing a bevy of features and blisteringly fast speeds.
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Join the PC World newsletter!
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)QLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC
- TPICT Contracts Compliance ManagerWA
- CCAnalyst ProgrammerVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- TPData AnalystWA
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectVIC
- FTDevelopment Manager - SaaSQLD
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)ACT
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXACT
- FTBusiness Development Manager - IT SolutionsNSW