With old IP networks, security is implemented by devices that are deployed at the edge. However, in the cloud era - where data centre and networks converge and access becomes increasingly mobile, the concept of the perimeter disappears.
Check out some of the great tech bargains we've rounded up.
The Novatel Intelligent Mobile Hotspot MiFi 2352 is a totally wireless 3G modem that shares its connection like a Wi-Fi router.
Grab cheap printers, TVs and a free game on the way back to school
Aimed at users without access to fixed line cable or ADSL Internet services, Telstra's BigPond Elite Wireless Network Gateway is a 3G modem/router that provides wireless access to Telstra's Next G network. The BigPond Elite Wireless Network Gateway works well, but neither it nor Telstra's wireless broadband plans come cheap.
We braved bedbugs, bad PR people, long taxi lines, and greasy convention-center food, all to find the hottest new gadgets and gear.
Setting up the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH wireless router for the first time is easy using the bundled CD, which contains the user manual and configuration tool. Thereafter, you can wall mount or stand it up using the stand provided, and manage it through its web interface.
In many households today, broadband Internet connections are used not only for e-mail and Web browsing, but also to stream music and video, play online games and/or perhaps make voice calls using a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service.
Whether at home or at the office, networking has gone mainstream. Once upon a time, a computer had value as a stand-alone machine running applications, but that time has passed. Without an ability to access the Internet, retrieve e-mail, chat via instant messaging, and connect with file shares and software, the computer is little more than an expensive paperweight.
With Skype's legal troubles now cleared up, it's a good time to learn more about the company than just what features it offers. Here 10 questions designed to give you a better understanding of the peer-to-peer VoIP vendor.
iiNet's BoB -- "Broadband in a Box" -- is an ADSL2+ modem router with built-in VoIP support that combines telephony, Internet access and both wired and wireless networking in a sleek and slim package.
Naked ADSL (or Naked DSL) is a term that refers to an ADSL service that can be installed on a phone line that doesn't have an active phone number attached to it. It's a service that's particularly worthwhile for anyone who does not use their landline to make phone calls, and also for anyone who uses voice over IP (VoIP) service (like Skype) instead of a regular landline to make phone calls.
With Naked ADSL you can get fast ADSL2+ speeds and save money by avoiding line rental fees. We explain what you need to know before making the leap to Naked ADSL.
Linksys’ first simultaneous dual-band 802.11n router is one of the best on the market, providing a bevy of features and blisteringly fast speeds.
A dual-band wireless router can be beneficial if you live in an environment where there is interference from many wireless networks, as this can significantly slow down fast devices over long distances. By using the 5GHz band for faster 802.11n devices, the Netgear WNDR3300 can theoretically ensure that the performance of these devices isn't compromised by wireless traffic running on the 2.4GHz band. Unfortunately, it delivered sluggish results during our tests.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTPortfolio & Program Management ManagerVIC
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- FTIdentity Systems Analyst / Solution DesignerACT
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTData AnalystACT
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- FTServicenow DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Security SpecialistNSW
- CCApplication Service TechnicianVIC
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- FTCloud EngineerVIC
- CCDirector - Technical Upgrade Program- Data migration, InfraNSW
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCPeopleSoft Consultant (Financial)NSW
- CCServiceNow Technical LeadNSW
- CCTechnical Specialist - EUCNSW