With an OLED display and an NVMe SSD, the Lenovo X1 Yoga delivers rich colors and top-notch performance.
Notebooks / Netbooks
Chromebooks' five-year end-of-life policy—if it holds up—could put a lot of perfectly good laptops out of commission.
Apple's latest iPad Pro, the new 9.7-in. model, not only gets many of the architecture advances from the larger version, but also a better camera and what may be Apple's most advanced display yet.
ASUS has released the world’s first liquid-cooled gaming laptop, under its gaming division Republic of Gamers (ROG).
The newest version of Acer’s Aspire R13, a convertible laptop that can be used as a tablet, is a sleek looking thing. A versatile unit with ample power to perform most everyday tasks with ease. It’s an interesting prospect for someone looking for a 2-in-1, but not without its problems.
The HP Mini 210 (NB-210-1017TU_01) is a 10in netbook with plenty of style. It looks and feels different to the netbook it replaces -- the HP Mini 110 -- but it still performs like a netbook. It offers a very solid keyboard with isolated (island-style) keys, a very smooth and responsive touchpad and an enclosure that feels almost rubbery when you touch it. Like most netbooks, it has its drawbacks: it gets warm, it only has 1GB of RAM and 802.11n Wi-Fi is absent.
Toshiba's NB300 is a 10in netbook with a slim frame, a long battery life and an advanced Sleep-and-Charge USB port. It's an almost perfect netbook for travellers thanks to these features, but even students and business users who are in the market for a tiny laptop should consider the NB300. However, it's not a very fast netbook -- its hard drive, in particular, is a bit of a slow coach — so don't expect it to be anything more than a convenient tool for Web browsing, creating office documents and watching standard-definition videos.
Toshiba's Satellite M500 (PSMKCA-009007) is a 14in, fully featured notebook that's suitable for business and home users alike. It has a dual-core Core 2 Duo CPU, modern ports and slots and a surprisingly good speaker system for a notebook of its size. It's also a surprisingly heavy laptop that actually feels more tiring to lug around than many recent 16in models we've reviewed.
MSI's CR620 is a 16in desktop replacement notebook that costs just $1199. It comes equipped with an Intel Core i3-330M CPU, 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM and a 500GB hard drive, so it will perform just fine when running office applications and even more taxing tasks such as media encoding.
ViewSonic's ViewBook Pro one of the rare ultraportable laptops to have a built-in optical drive along with a competitive price -- it costs only $1349. A DVD burner is installed in the right side of the notebook and it's a refreshing change compared to all the inexpensive ultraportables we've seen over the last few months that forego an optical drive primarily to keep the overall cost down.
Once you figure out which category of laptop best suits your needs, it's time to examine the specifications.
The ASUS N61Ja is a 16in notebook with a fast Core i5-430M CPU and a lot of modern features. In fact, it's the first notebook we've seen to sport a USB 3.0 port. It's a hefty laptop that weighs 2.7kg and it's best suited as a desktop replacement. With a little determination, you could take it to class or to the office, however.
It may look big and bulky, but Samsung's R580 is a 16in notebook that's surprisingly light. It weighs only 2.5kg and it feels very well built; it also looks stunning in its gradated, burgundy colour. While it's best suited as a desktop replacement, you'll still be able to take it with you to the office or the classroom — provided you have a bag that's big enough to accommodate it.
HP's Pavilion dm3-101tu (VV707PA) is a 13.3in notebook with good speed, long battery life, a strong yet lean body, and an affordable price tag.
Check out some of the great tech bargains we've rounded up.
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Why my older Chromebook has a right to live, even if Google says it's over
- ASUS launches world’s first liquid-cooled gaming laptop
PCW Evaluation Team
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCProduct Design AnalystNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperQLD
- CCOracle WebLogic AdministratorNSW
- FTHelpdesk TechnicianVIC
- FTTechnical Engineer Linux / MySql / ScriptQLD
- TPProject Manager - Digital Banking ProjectQLD
- FTArcFM/Gis Lead DeveloperNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTData and Insights AnalystNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCPerformance AnalystQLD
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!VIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPUI/UX ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Solutions ArchitectWA
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- CCCloud Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- TPDeployment OfficerQLD
- FTApplication Services Administrator (Linux)NSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCNetwork and Cloud SMENSW