The newest version of Acer’s Aspire R13, a convertible laptop that can be used as a tablet, is a sleek looking thing. A versatile unit with ample power to perform most everyday tasks with ease. It’s an interesting prospect for someone looking for a 2-in-1, but not without its problems.
The Acer Aspire S5 Ultrabook is a 13.3in model that's something different from the norm. While it's thin, light, and equipped with a fast configuration, it also includes something that's unique: a motorised rear port cluster and vent that Acer calls MagicFlip. The idea is that when you aren't using the ports, the laptop will look streamlined and very thin, and you can simply press the button next to the keyboard to extend the port cluster whenever you like. It's not entirely practical, and the novelty may wear off after a while, but it's definitely an interesting design.
Neatness and convenience are perhaps the best features of all-in-one PCs, which don't require much effort to set up and use, and they can be placed in relatively small abodes and offices -- even big 27in models such as this Acer Aspire U Series (7600U).
The Acer Aspire S7 (model number S7-391-73514G12aws) is the first fully-functional Windows 8-based Ultrabook to come through our Test Centre, and it's a little beauty. It's a 13.3in model with a conventional clamshell design that also features a touchscreen. The build quality is superb, the look of the unit is very attractive and its overall performance is swift thanks to the inclusion of a Core i7 CPU and a super-fast solid state drive.
The Acer Iconia Tab A510's bland design won't turn any heads but its impressive battery life and solid performance makes it a viable, if overpriced Android tablet.
The Acer H9500BD is one of the more affordable Full HD 3D home theatre projectors on the market, but that doesn’t stop it from packing in a comprehensive suite of features and displaying surprisingly vivid, bright and detailed picture quality. We think it’s an absolute bargain.
The Acer Iconia Tab A700's killer feature is an impressive 10.1in screen with a resolution of 1920x1200, significantly higher than almost every other Android tablet on the market.
At 15.6 inches, 2.1kg, and with a built-in optical drive, a discrete graphics adapter and a Core i7 CPU, it's hard to consider the Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra M3 an Ultrabook. It feels too big to be in the same class as many of the other Ultrabooks that we have seen -- and it must be said: it can be a pain to carry around every day due to its width.
The Acer K330 is a LED projector, using the same technology as the portable Acer C20 and BenQ Joybee GP2. It’s not a battery-powered model though -- it’s designed to be used for business presentations on the road, but requires external power.
Acer's Aspire Z5771 all-in-one desktop PC is part of a vendor trend suggesting that users want these types of systems in their homes. Far from a conventional PC, the Z5771 features a resistive 23in, Full HD touchscreen in addition to regular keyboard and mouse peripherals. It serves up an Intel Core i7 CPU, lots of RAM, a discrete graphics adapter and a useful grouping of connectivity features, but it could use a faster hard drive.
The Acer TravelMate TimelineX TM8473T is a 14in business laptop with an understated style, good build quality and high user comfort. It's based on an Intel Core i5-2450M CPU, has 4GB of RAM and comes with 500GB of internal storage. It's definitely well featured and its price tag is very reasonable. There's actually not much that we don't like about this notebook.
Wondering why thin and light laptops with monster battery life haven't been a smashing success? Acer chairman J.T. Wang says Dell and HP are to blame.
Lifted by fast-growing notebook shipments, Taiwan's Acer grabbed the No. 2 spot in the global PC market for the first time over Dell, according to iSuppli.
Acer executives have grumbled about the performance of Intel's processors for thin and light laptops but suggested that faster chips are coming early next year.
More than seven years after pulling out of the Australian market, Gateway PC -- the brand with the cow-themed logo -- will return to Australia on 15 August with a range of notebooks targeted at fashion-conscious consumers.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Acer: Dell and HP are sabotaging ultra-thin laptops
- iSuppli now ranks Acer ahead of Dell in PC market
- Acer hints at faster Intel CULV chips in Q1
- Acer relaunches Gateway brand in Australia
- Acer dumps Google Android netbook
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Linux/Security/LAN) 160211/SSA/521Asia
- CCService ModellerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/AP/541Asia
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- FTDatabase AdministratorVIC
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTWeb Programmer/ DeveloperVIC
- CCImmediate iOS Developer Required - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTApplications Architect/ Pre-sales (Microsoft Applications)WA
- CCTest AnalystACT
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Engineer / Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- FTTeam Lead ITIL- Permanent OpportunityVIC
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCBilling Assistant / AdministrationACT