Wondering why thin and light laptops with monster battery life haven't been a smashing success? Acer chairman J.T. Wang says Dell and HP are to blame.
Lifted by fast-growing notebook shipments, Taiwan's Acer grabbed the No. 2 spot in the global PC market for the first time over Dell, according to iSuppli.
Acer executives have grumbled about the performance of Intel's processors for thin and light laptops but suggested that faster chips are coming early next year.
More than seven years after pulling out of the Australian market, Gateway PC -- the brand with the cow-themed logo -- will return to Australia on 15 August with a range of notebooks targeted at fashion-conscious consumers.
Acer's plans to launch an Aspire One netbook running Google's Android operating system have been shelved.
Acer remains on track to launch a version of its Aspire One netbook with Google's Android mobile operating system in the third quarter of this year, a company representative said Wednesday.
Google is already working with several companies to develop devices around the new Chrome OS, including Hewlett-Packard and Acer, the company said in a blog post late Wednesday.
Advanced Micro Devices has quietly released a low-voltage chip that has made its way into a new netbook from Acer, forcing the chip designer into the netbook space.
Hoping to ride a recent surge in movies and TV shows filmed in 3-D, Acer Inc. plans to release a notebook PC this fall equipped with a 15.6-inch 3-D screen, according to a report.
The world's third-largest PC vendor plans to roll out the Moblin Linux operating system, championed by Intel, in its products, a top executive said Wednesday.
Acer plans to launch a version of its Aspire One netbook with Google's Android mobile operating system in the third quarter of this year, a top executive at the company said Tuesday.
Acer plans to launch its first smartphone with Google's Android software on board in the fourth quarter of this year, the company announced Monday.
Acer is already working on several different devices using Google's Android operating system and software, and plans to launch a smartphone using the software later this year.
Acer edged out rival Asustek Computer to lead the world in netbook shipments last year.
PC vendor Acer will launch its first smartphones in mid-February at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Acer: Dell and HP are sabotaging ultra-thin laptops
- iSuppli now ranks Acer ahead of Dell in PC market
- Acer hints at faster Intel CULV chips in Q1
- Acer relaunches Gateway brand in Australia
- Acer dumps Google Android netbook
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW