Dell’s all-in-one PC line-up has matured significantly in the last few years. Look at the Studio One 19 from 2009, and compare it to 2012’s XPS One 27, and you’ll see how much has changed.
Many years ago, if you were to buy a Dell XPS desktop PC, you'd get something that was behemoth-like in its structure, and one of the first things you wanted to do was open it up to see all the beautiful little bits that made it go so fast. These days, Dell has Alienware PCs with which it dazzles the crowds and its XPS series of PCs has become a much less distinctive offering.
With Ultrabooks taking all the glory in the notebook market these days, a 15.6in model like the Dell Vostro 3560 isn't something that will capture the imagination. In its standard form, it's a utilitarian beast with a thick base, a big screen and a strong build, and it's designed primarily for business users who want something fast, well featured, yet mobile.
If your dream has always been to own a laptop that can easily be converted into a top-notch, no-compromise slate device, then Dell's XPS 12 convertible Ultrabook will make it come true.
The Dell Latitude 10 is a 10.1-inch Windows 8-based tablet that's scheduled for release next month -- at about the same time as the operating system itself. It's a business-oriented tablet that's designed to appeal to IT managers who are wanting to roll out secure slate devices to their users, as well as to those very users who will end up operating the device on a daily basis. And it does look and feel very desirable.
Dell's 2012 model Inspiron 15R notebook, the 5520, is an all-purpose model for serious work and multimedia pursuits, and it can even be used for gaming. It features a third generation Intel Core i7 CPU at the helm, and it has impressive features such as discrete graphics processing and a Full HD screen. However, it also has a few shortcomings, particularly when it comes to networking.
With the Dell XPS 14, you get an Ultrabook that includes discrete graphics, a third generation Intel Core i7 CPU, and up to half a terabyte of storage, with SSD acceleration on the side. It's designed for users who want as much grunt as they can get from a relatively thin and light computer, and it can even be used for a little bit of gaming in addition to media encoding tasks and typical office work. However, it's not a perfect Ultrabook; ours was affected by a couple of problems that made the notebook annoying to use during our review period.
Dell's XPS One 27 (2710) is one of the most elegant and interesting all-in-one PCs we've seen in a while. It's not one of those fancy touchscreen-enabled PCs that can leave you wondering what to do with it; instead, it's a 27in screen with a stack of goodies packed inside its relatively thin profile, including a third generation Intel Core i7 CPU and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M graphics adapter.
Dell's XPS 13 (L321X) Ultrabook is a slim, 13in unit that received unanimous praise for its design from all who saw it while I was reviewing it. That does not happen often.
The Dell XPS 14z offers a fantastic mix of performance, mobility and strong build quality for a reasonable cost. It's a laptop that's been designed with home users and students in mind, but business users may also want to check it out. At 14 inches, it's a slightly smaller model than the XPS 15z that we reviewed back in June. It sports a different layout to that model, but the keyboard is practically the same, albeit scaled down, and while it's a good notebook overall, it's still a notebook that feels somewhat uncomfortable to use.
Dell has delayed the closing of a plant in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, by three months because PC demand is rising, the company said on Tuesday.
Wondering why thin and light laptops with monster battery life haven't been a smashing success? Acer chairman J.T. Wang says Dell and HP are to blame.
Dell has announced its latest laptop for business users, the Vostro V13.
Lifted by fast-growing notebook shipments, Taiwan's Acer grabbed the No. 2 spot in the global PC market for the first time over Dell, according to iSuppli.
Dell reported third-quarter profits on Thursday that were down 54 percent from this time last year, though the company said it was encouraged by a slight uptick in sales from the prior quarter.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Join the PC World newsletter!
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Growing PC demand delays Dell's plan to shut down plant
- Acer: Dell and HP are sabotaging ultra-thin laptops
- iSuppli now ranks Acer ahead of Dell in PC market
- Dell's Q3 profit slides 54 percent
- Dell closing US desktop manufacturing plant
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW