An ISP participating in the Federal Government's controversial Internet filtering trial has claimed the Australian public is missing the point of the scheme.
With the leaking of the supposed Australian Communication & Media Authority's (ACMA) URL “blacklist”, further doubts have been raised over whether such a list, and even Web Filtering itself, can successfully achieve the federal government's goal of protecting Australians from undesirable content like child pornography.
iiNet has rejected Telstra's claims it is not to blame for the closure of its Canberra exchange and subsequent disconnection of 42 customers from rival ISPs.
A U.S. District Court has ordered seven Internet-based lending operations to halt some of their practices after the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and the state of Nevada complained that the companies failed to disclose key loan terms and used abusive collection tactics.
A telco analyst firm responsible for a scathing report on Internet access in Australia has defended its claims amid a barrage of criticism.
iiNet will lodge its defence in the Federal Court today to claims it has infringed the copyrighted material of leading film studios and the Seven Network.
Australian Internet surfers enjoyed significant improvements in performance during the last quarter of 2008, according to new international research.
As President-elect Barack Obama begins fleshing out his agenda, one promising sign is that he considers Internet infrastructure to be key, judging from both his stated goals and the caliber of people he's asking to advise him on policy.
The federal government’s proposed ‘clean feed’ Internet censorship scheme does not account for trends in social networking communities and will easily be circumvented by savvy Gen-Yers, according to a prominent network engineer.
The Australian Internet industry has supported iiNet in its defence against legal action filed by the leading US media giants and the Seven Network, which experts say could force providers to police peer-to-peer traffic if the Federal Court rules in favour of the plaintiffs.
The leading film studios and Channel 7 have taken legal action against iiNet claiming the ISP is complicit in the infringement of their copyrighted material.
The Australian Computer Society (ACS) and UNSW are assembling e-security and ISP filtering experts to examine the merits of the government’s proposed Internet content filtering scheme.
The US Congress will push for net neutrality legislation next year, even though the US Federal Communications Commission has acted against broadband providers that it found to block or slow Web content.
A U.S. Internet service provider suspected of aiding cybercriminals in online scams and hosting child pornography was at least partially cut off from the Internet on Tuesday night.
Federal Communications minister Senator Stephen Conroy has dodged a question by the Greens, who claimed he said in an October Senate estimates hearing that countries such as Sweden and Canada had mandatory Internet filtering systems similar to those now being trialled in Australia, when in fact they don’t.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- ISP: Internet filter trial has been misconstrued
- More doubts surface over enforceability of ACMA's blacklist
- Exchange closure nets customers for Telstra, irks iiNet
- Court halts Internet lending practices
- Benchmarker defends Oz broadband report
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCSenior Security AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst- (MQC, QTP, BPMN, Visio or System Architect;NSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (PC LAN Support) 161028/JP/203Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst - experience in IDAM a MUSTNSW
- CCResident Engineer - Nexus 2K, 5K, 7K & 9KNSW
- FT.Net CRM Dynamics Developer LeadVIC
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- CCSitecore DeveloperNSW
- FTRelease CoordinatorACT
- CCSiebel DeveloperACT
- FTAgile Front End Developer- HTML5 & CSS3NSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (SQL/Web) 161027/SA/842Asia
- CCTest Engineer - .NETNSW
- CCApplication Support AnalystVIC
- FTSenior UX DesignerAsia
- FTLevel 2 Application SupportVIC
- FTSenior Application SupportSA
- CCPerformance AnalystNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCJunior Programmer (Application Dev. & Mgt.) 161017/JP/221Asia
- FTBusiness Analyst - PIMAsia
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Security) 161018/AP/383Asia