Rumor has it on the Internet that eBay is trying to sell Skype to none other than Google -- even though the service proved to be quite a cash cow in 2008. With eBay reporting a downfall in revenue and Google still going strong, this rumor might actually have some substance.
Net Phone Zone
Data traffic to mobile phones jumped 463 percent in November compared to the same month last year, according to the latest State of the Mobile Web report from Opera Software.
Freshtel Holdings Limited [ASX: FRE] subsidiary Tesco Teleecoms has launched a new converged technology internet telephony service.
The encryption of Skype VoIP phone calls might not be as secure as you think.
New exploits against VoIP continue to emerge, but experts say these demonstrations reveal the need for vigilant security and are not fatal flaws to the technology.
As technology and communications begin to converge, the focus is increasingly placed upon multifunction devices, such as the modern smartphone.
With more bandwidth and endless multimedia possibilities, 3G mobile phones are leaving 2G in the dust.
Skype has made available a test version of its latest upgrade, Skype 4.0, which the eBay unit calls its biggest and most ambitious release in its almost five-year history.
A common compression technique can make internet telephone calls significantly more susceptible to bugging, according to recent research from Johns Hopkins University.
A new online services directory, dubbed FreeConnect, launched last week, claiming to be Australia's first online VoIP directory service.
With a partnership between Black Star TV and South Korean company 2ii Tech, Ghana has become home to the first service in West Africa for mobile-phone-enabled TV content viewing. Employing Terrestrial Digital Multimedia Broadcasting (T-DMB) technology, the new service allows users to view movies, sports, music videos, 24-hour news and current affairs.
Polycom and Telstra have entered a co-branding agreement for Telstra's IP Telephony (TIPT) service.
EBay-owned Skype has released into open beta testing a client for mobile phones that supports phone calls, chat and other features of the popular VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) application.
Sony BMG said Tuesday it will offer content when Nokia launches its Comes With Music program in the second half of 2008.
Skype has announced a flat rate for international calls, further showing how difficult it is to make money from telephony, according to analysts.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Midweek Rumor: Google To Buy Skype
- Mobile Web use hits an upward curve at last
- Freshtel subsidiary launches WiFi mobile telephony service
- Skype won't say if it decrypts VoIP calls
- Skype trots out beta of major redesign
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterVIC
- TPAnalyst Work Place SupportVIC
- CCMainframe Developer (with ASP.NET)QLD
- CCCommercial Senior Financial Planner - MelbourneVIC
- FTSecurity LeadWA
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCITSM Process ExpertNSW
- CCGIS ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Security Advisor - CISSP - Permanent - Nth SydNSW
- FTJava Developers X 2QLD
- FTPMO Coordinator - Permanent Opportunity!NSW
- CCTelecom Riggers and TechniciansNSW
- FTWeb Developer/ DesignerACT
- FT2 x Firewall Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCSenior Networks EngineerVIC
- CCNetwork Solution Designer/Architect - Finance - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTLevel 1/2 Service Desk AnalystWA
- TPBusiness Improvement and Change ManagerQLD
- CCChange Manager (Office365) required for leading digital innovator in SydneyNSW
- CCEPAS Technical Support OfficersNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCSenior Organisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- CCProject Manager - Procurement System ImplementationACT