Microsoft has ramped up a new Windows support assistant nearly three months after it quietly debuted the automatic repair and configuration tool.
In 10 weeks, Microsoft will begin to retire Windows XP by shifting the seven-year-old OS into a more limited support plan.
Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) again lost market share last month, although at a slower rate than the previous two-month stretch, but still ended at a new low of 67.6% as rivals continued to steal users, a Web metrics firm reported Sunday.
Microsoft is denying that there is a security hole in the User Account Control (UAC) feature of Windows 7 after a blogger reported it last week and posted what he said was a fix for it.
Although the beta of Windows 7 quickly grabbed one-tenth of 1% of the operating system market share last month, Microsoft's OS continued its downward trend, a Web measurement company reported Sunday.
Microsoft is warning customers that tools for blocking automatic upgrades to the newest service packs of Windows Vista and Windows XP will expire in the coming months.
The head of Microsoft's Windows development confirmed Friday that Windows 7 will take the unusual path of moving straight from a single beta, which was launched earlier this month, to a release candidate.
A change that Microsoft made in Windows 7 to improve its controversial User Account Control security feature has left the new OS less secure, according to a blogger who follows Microsoft closely.
Windows Me may not have had much going for it, but it has one claim to fame: it was the last major release of Windows to come in a single edition, or SKU.
A Windows enthusiast is calling for Microsoft to release Windows 7 now, only a few weeks after the company made available the software's first public test version.
Microsoft has delivered a preliminary release candidate for Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) to testers and is again on track to offer another public preview next month, according to several reports on the Web.
New Microsoft technology designed to protect Internet Explorer users from a powerful new Web-based attack will not fix the problem, security experts said Tuesday.
Technical advisers to the antitrust regulators who monitor Microsoft's compliance with a 2002 antitrust settlement will test Windows 7 "more thoroughly" than earlier versions of the operating system, according to a recently-released status report fil...
Microsoft has again warned users of Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) that they may not be able to uninstall either the service pack or Internet Explorer 8 (IE8).
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Alienware's sleek backpack PC is a dorky, but practical solution to a big VR problem
- Alienware's tiny Alpha gaming PC gets bigger muscles... in the US
- Valve's Steam Machines aren't gaining steam, but they inspired wonderful creations
- Pausing on the PC death march
- Asus PCs running Windows 7 slam into boot failure after recommended patch
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTLead Tableau Reporting ConsultantNSW
- FTInformation Security ConsultantACT
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- CCChange Manager, Digital ProgramNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCSr Business Analyst FI/CO, ERP, Procurement, Payroll, HR, SAPNSW
- CCIntegration ArchitectNSW
- CCJunior PM/ConsultantACT
- FTContract System SpecialistAsia
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160630/SITA/642Asia
- CCWindows 2003-2012 R2 Active Directory Consultant/ManagerNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- FTProject Manager - Insurance experience neededNSW
- CCSystems Trainer - Networking/ RadioVIC
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- CCSpatial DeveloperQLD
- CCF5 Infrastructure AdministratorNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC