They're collecting dust in storage rooms and taking up extra space in your garage or office. They can't handle today's applications, peripherals or operating systems. Yes, older computers are a nuisance, like the brother-in-law who sleeps on your sof...
When the phone rings in my house, there's a 50/50 chance it's a call for help--tech help. Maybe it's my sister trying to figure out why her wireless mouse no longer works. Maybe it's Dad wanting to know why virus warnings keep popping up on his deskt...
Despite a few seriously annoying bugs, the Windows 7 version of Windows Media Center is without a doubt the best yet.
Your PC will crash, your camera will break, your network will fail, and your printer will chew up paper.
Here are your most likely options, from the best to the worst, if you want to hook up your desktop PC or notebook to your TV.
Using your PC to store your photos, videos, and music might save you the trouble of having to dust off photo albums and alphabetize your CD collection, but it can still be a pain to keep your media converted, stored, tagged, and uploaded.
I've made no secret of my love for Windows Media Center, but for months I've been living with a glitch that almost drove me to TiVo.
Kurt asked the Answer Line forum about buying a PC for his home theater
Way back in the Mesozoic era of computing (also known as the early 1980s), we didn't have slick little netbooks or big, powerful desktops.
I just installed Windows 7 on a Compaq laptop that was previously running Vista. It was a clean install, meaning I wiped the hard drive rather than simply upgrading the OS. (I had my reasons for doing so, but I won't bore you with them here.)
Upgrading users to a new operating system always seems to have its pitfalls, and Windows 7 is no exception. If you're migrating multiple users, you'll definitely need some tools to help automate the task.
There's nothing pretty about software overburdening your CPU and slowing everything down. And finding and fixing the cause isn't always an easy task. These suggestions will hopefully help.
A reader wants to know if XP will still be safe after Microsoft ends support in 2014
Whether you're an IT pro or the go-to geek in your social circle, often the biggest hassle in fixing a computer problem is simply getting to the PC that needs help.
There are steps you should take to make a new PC as hassle-free as possible.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Google's CEO just called the next wave in computing, and it's not VR
- Acer's new Predator gaming systems are powerful beasts that will also run your VR headset
- Here's what the new Intel will look like
- As Intel shifts its focus to the Cloud, it commands its PC products to fight - or die
- Intel axes 12,000 jobs as it looks to break away from PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Lotus Notes/Networking) 160504/AP/781Asia
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- CCIT Network SpecialistVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCMicrosoft Server EngineerWA
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- CCMS Biz Talk ConsultantNSW
- FTDatabase Administrator / ArchitectNSW