The dispute around licensing for the MPEG-4 digital compression standard seems to be over with new licensing terms published by MPEG LA LLC Monday.
Digital Music - News
Microsoft Corp. released details on Windows XP's upcoming media trappings Tuesday, revealing the company's plans to make the PC an all-in-one digital media center, replete with video, photos, music and TV programming.
After an extended public preview, Apple Computer Inc. Monday released QuickTime 6, the latest version of their popular digital media technology.
Microsoft Corp. has announced that its next-generation Windows Media platform, until now known under the code-name Corona, will be launched in public beta in early September and carry the official name Windows Media 9.
Microsoft is preparing to lob its latest weapon in the digital media war, announcing Monday the beta release timing of the next version of its Windows media platform, dubbed Corona.
EMusic.com Inc. and Universal Music Group (UMG) today announced a new program that makes available tracks from about 1,000 UMG albums through EMusic's downloadable music subscription service.
Universal Music Group, the music arm of struggling media conglomerate Vivendi Universal SA, has made a major commitment to digital-music distribution, releasing 1,000 albums for download through EMusic.com Inc.
Despite the digital music industry's stagnating growth and the upcoming breakup of its host, Jupiter Media Metrix Inc.'s "Plug In" digital music conference returned Monday for its seventh annual showing here, featuring a lineup of familiar industry f...
Apple Computer Inc. has acquired Emagic Inc., professional software solutions provider for computer-based music production.
Listen.com Inc. said Monday that it signed a licensing deal with Universal Music Group (UMG), making its Rhapsody digital music subscription service the first to boast content from all five major labels.
If you want to record your own DVD video, transfer old VHS material, or archive nearly 10GB onto a single disc, you'll find plenty to serve your needs in stores this year. A broad selection of DVD devices in the works, including second-generation mod...
Yamaha Electronics Corp. has introduced the CRW-F1, which they modestly describe as "the ultimate CD-Recorders."
A flaw in an antipiracy feature in Microsoft's Windows Media Player could put systems at risk to hacker attacks, Microsoft warned in a security bulletin Wednesday.
Users of RealNetworks's RealOne Player will soon be able to move their digital music to more than 20 of Sony's music devices under a deal recently forged by the two companies.
With the licensing costs of MPEG-4 still at issue for content delivery companies, VP3 makers On2 Technologies Inc. and Vorbis developers Xiph.org today announced a potentially appealing alternative.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Apple Music and Spotify add unofficial DJ remixes to be more like SoundCloud
- YouTube Music update improves sharing and preps for more playlist features
- Spotify ads slipped malware onto PCs and Macs
- No, Apple isn't buying rival streaming service Tidal
- Pandora teases on-demand music while launching Pandora Plus with offline listening
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTEngineering ManagerACT
- FTHead - Project Delivery / Project Delivery DirectorACT
- CCMainframe Developer (with ASP.NET)QLD
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTIT Client Support AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- CCHadoop DeveloperSA
- FTAngular DeveloperSA
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerQLD
- FTProject Manager-accommodation strategy and ABW implementationNSW
- FTFinancial Planner - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCApplication Blueprinting Engineer ( Developer).ACT
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - AIXVIC
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCVideo Conferencing - PABX , Cisco, Polycom and Nortel/AvaNSW
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- CCJava Application Developer - BaselineACT
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCOracle SOA DeveloperNSW
- CCFacilities Coordinator - Multiple RolesVIC
- TPSAP HR Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD