Keen on catching up on the latest films out of Africa? What about some classic Japanese cinema, or the 1903 version of Alice in Wonderland? It's a bit difficult to do by just wandering into a DVD store, but thanks to Mubi on the PlayStation 3, watching somewhat obscure films just got a whole lot easier.
Digital Video Accessories
The SPK-HCE Sports Pack is an underwater housing for Sony camcorders. Its main claims to fame are its awesome versatility (over 20 handycam models are supported) and user-friendly interface. On the downside, the Sony SPK-HCE Sports Pack isn’t the most robust case we’ve seen -- it’s only waterproof to a depth of five metres, which rules out deep sea diving (or even the deep end of some public swimming pools). It's also a bit pricey and blocks access to most of your camcorder's modes and features. Nevertheless, the SPK-HCE Sports Pack remains a reliable product for low-grade underwater frolics.
The world is still focused on the new iPod Nano and Zune HD, but that didn't stop Sony from unveiling its thinnest Walkman ever on Wednesday morning. Sony's new NW-A840 Series measure just over a quarter of an inch thick.
Avid has introduced new versions of its Media Composer video editing software and Symphony finishing system.
As 3D imaging emerged as a theme at the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin, the Fraunhofer Institute for Telecommunications took the technology a step further and presented its research on 3D gesture control.
The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is planning to add support for 3D to its high-resolution video disc format, it said on Wednesday.
What's thin, light, powerful, sometimes clever, and always there to handle your data burning needs? ImgBurn, easily the most impressive free/donationware burning software I've run across. The program handles a host of image types including ISO, NRG, PDI, UDI, BIN/CUE, and CDI -- obviating the need to buy several different imaging programs -- and will also create data CDs, DVDs, and get this: Blu-ray data discs!
The Toshiba SDP92SKY is a portable DVD player with a swivelling 9in LCD screen. It comes with a smattering of intriguing features, including DivX media support, an AV input connection and an SD card slot for playback of video files, MP3s and photos. Unfortunately, it’s also a bit on the pricey side compared to other portable DVD players, without much to justify the extra premium. Simply put, there are cheaper models on the block that do a similar job.
nVidia has introduced the OptiX interactive ray tracing engine, which is part of a suite of application-acceleration engines aimed at software developers who create high-end 3D suites. These engines are designed to be integrated into 3D modelling, animation and rendering suites, providing acceleration by tapping nVidia's Quadro FX line of graphics cards.
AMD has announced a new flagship model in its line of workstation-class graphics cards, the ATI FirePro V8750. The company has also debuted the S400 genlock and framelock add-on board for use in video editing suites, and announced that its CrossFire technology for using more than one graphics card in a single workstation now supports FirePro boards.
The Canon WP-V1 is a waterproof camcorder case for the Canon Legria HF20 and Canon Legria HF200 -- two high-definition camcorders that record in the flash memory format. It is waterproof to a depth of 40 metres. Despite some minor mechanical flaws, the Canon WP-V1 remains a very good product for snorkelers, surfers and scuba-divers — especially if they already own the HF20 or HF200.
Bella has announced the HD Mouse, a wireless mouse with specific functions for video editors and motion graphics artists. It will be shown for the first time at the NAB trade show next week, and begin shipping in early May for US$69.95.
The DVDirect VDR-P1 Express is a portable DVD Burner that performs the same function as a writable DVD drive. Which begs the question - why buy why buy this when your computer does a perfectly good job? here at PC World, it’s easy to forget that not every camcorder owner is computer savvy, or even computer literate. Indeed, there are some – particularly in the pensioner set – who don’t even own a PC, let alone know how to use one. Not surprisingly, these technology-challenged individuals have a hard time when it comes to converting their home movies to DVD. Unless they own a disc-based camcorder, the poor wretches are doomed to a life of fiddly cables, tiny remote controls and fruitless AV channel-hopping.
If you have a large collection of legacy video tapes, the Magix Rescue Your Videotapes kit is an excellent way to transfer them to DVD.
Video-transfer device is a quick, convenient way to get content onto DVD without firing up a PC.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Sony unveils slimmest Walkman yet
- Avid lauches version 4 of Media Composer, Symphony
- 3D not just for TVs, but gesture control too
- Interest in 3D home video heats up
- nVidia debuts interactive ray-tracing engine for 3D apps
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Windows, VMWare, HyperVWA
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- CCJava Developer (front end)WA
- FTDatabase Administrator / ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCMicrosoft Server EngineerWA
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- CCPortfolio Manager - Customer Service SystemVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW