We last reviewed Fetch TV’s main set-top box (second generation) two years ago. How things change in that time? Back then we primarily lamented the lack of built-in WiFi – something that would be unthinkable these days - but now the third-generation box (called the Mighty) has added it to the mix.
Digital Video Cameras & Camcorders
Sony's latest update to the PlayStation 4's system software adds high dynamic range support for older consoles.
For those of you with a 4K TV who want to get the best out of it sooner rather than later, one of the ways to do so is to shoot your own 4K videos. It's possible to shoot such video with many new digital still cameras, and if you already own a capable model, then Panasonic's HC-WX970M camcorder won't hold much appeal. This camcorder is for those of you who have a need for a dedicated video camera with 4K capturing.
Fishing enthusiasts and cyclists know all about Shimano reels and gears. Based on that name recognition, the company will no doubt be hoping that users of its products will also have a mind to check out the action cam it's offering. It's called the Shimano Sport Camera, and it's pitched at cyclists, as well as those of you who want to record activities near (or on and under) the water.
Panasonic’s DMC-GH4 is a serious camera that’s designed for the most creative of minds. It’s a Micro Four Thirds-based, interchangeable lens camera that packs not only an excellent ability to capture stills, but also the ability to record ultra-high definition, 4K video. Basically, you can call it a photo/video hybrid.
Sony AX100E 4K camera is three-quarters smaller than the company’s original, but it still manages to incorporate popular features such as wireless connectivity and slow motion recording.
GoPro and Contour have an established history in ‘action’ video cameras -- small, durable video recorders with basic controls and wide-angle lenses. Swann is not a name you’d associate with these products — they’re a security camera company -- but the Freestyle HD is nevertheless a genuine competitor when it comes to recording decent quality video in a miniature package.
The Sony HDR-PJ200E is a tiny camcorder with a built in projector. It performs well and is a lovely gadget for frequent travellers: capture some neat footage during the day, then at night project the results on an empty wall wherever you happen to be staying.
When we looked at the Contour+ video camera we were impressed with its video quality and size, but of more value was its miniature construction -- it easily fit in a pocket, or could be thrown in a backpack. What made it great was the extra Bluetooth functionality that turned a smartphone into the camera’s viewfinder, allowing easy position and exposure adjustments. Contour’s new ROAM doesn’t have this feature, but it is the same convenient size and is also waterproof to a depth of one metre.
The Contour+, from extreme sports video camera company Contour, is a tough and compact camera that records Full HD video at a variety of quality settings and frame rates. It has the potential to be an indispensable tool for anyone looking to record their sporting endeavours, and we’re pleased to report that it does its job near-perfectly.
I must confess: I'm not a regular camcorder user. (When you look at the sample footage embedded in this article that will become obvious to you -- Ed.) I prefer the convenience of a digital SLR or compact camera instead, and I rarely have a need to shoot just video. In fact, there is very little that would tempt me to buy a camcorder these days, even if they are capable of capturing better motion than digital cameras. Sony must know that it needs to do something a little extra to entice users to buy dedicated video cameras these days, and perhaps that's why its Handycam PJ30VE ships with an inbuilt pico projector.
The Samsung U10 is a pocket camcorder for bloggers and casual videographers. Boasting 1080p video quality, inbuilt editing software, a time-lapse recording function and a 10-megapixel still image mode, the Samsung U10 is pretty well equipped for the asking price ($249).
Big savings on Dell Wasabi printer, Logitech Squeezebox Boom wireless music system, plus lots more!
Grab yourself a bargain as we begin the countdown to Christmas! This week you can choose from two great Panasonic and Nikon digital cameras, a large and powerful Dell notebook, a Sony Full HD camcorder, the latest TomTom GPS units, a Nokia smartphone and much, much more!
Pick up some great gear, including a 50in plasma TV, a Samsung mobile and a JVC camcorder
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Sony's PlayStation 4 'Shingen' update adds HDR support to every PS4 console
- Sony's AX100E 4K camcorder (preview)
PCW Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantNSW
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- CCIT Infrastructure ArchitectNSW
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Office 365QLD
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW