The system piggybacks onto your existing wiring to add a motion sensor, wireless on/off switch, a two-way intercom, and a siren to scare intruders away.
Security Surveillance Cameras
The Uniden G1420 Digital Wireless Surveillance Pack is a camera kit that can be used for triggered, timed or manual surveillance recordings, and it's dead simple to set up and use.
If you're a fan of The Office, you might recall the character Angela setting up a live stream camera so she could watch her cats while at work.
Axis Communications has announced the availability of over 30 new security camera products from the company in India and globally (in addition to about 200 existing products).
A new industry group officially launched Tuesday with a proposed standard for closed-circuit high-definition TV for video surveillance, and end-users applauded the effort to promote interoperability in a new generation of monitoring gear.
The Swann PenCam DVR (SPY-420) is the kind of gadget that no aspiring 007 agent should be without. It’s essentially a video camera hidden inside a functioning ballpoint pen, complete with an inbuilt microphone and 2GB of flash memory. According to the box blurb, it’s “perfect for mystery shopping, covert surveillance or Internet fun” (none of which sounds particularly legal to us). The astonishing thing is that it actually takes pretty good video when used in optimum lighting. Considering its lens is the size of a pin hole, this is a pretty impressive feat.
Axis Communications announces AXIS P13 Network Cameras, a new series of fixed day and night cameras having HDTV video and H.264 streams. Introducing simplified installation with the unique focus assistant, remote back focus and pixel counter features, these cameras are the perfect choice where high-performing video surveillance is required.
Swann’s IP-3G ConnectCam 1000 is a wireless-enabled security camera requiring almost no installation. The camera doesn’t provide the high audio-visual quality and remote control options of more expensive models, but the unit is certainly a decent security solution for a reasonable cost.
The price and complexity of video surveillance systems has fallen dramatically in recent years. They are no longer just for hermit millionaires and evil mega-corporations. At $999, the QNAP NVR-1012 Network Surveillance System isn’t exactly cheap, but it <i>is</i> within reach of security-conscious consumers. What’s more, you don’t need to be a registered mechanic to set it up.
For any kind of property owner, be it your own home or your place of business, theft is always a concern. A few years ago you'd need a hefty amount of money to install a complex CCTV monitoring system if you wanted some extra security, but these days thanks to companies like Swann, you can have extremely effective protection for a perfectly affordable cost.
The NightHawk 3 is another security camera system from Swann. This package comes with three wireless cameras, a receiver and remote control. We were a little disappointed that it came with no option to record video footage, but purely as a surveillance device it operated admirably, and should satisfy home or shop owners who are looking for a little extra piece of mind.
Jumping on the ever growing bandwagon of do-it-yourself home security devices, Swann's Digital Private Eye is a nifty device for those after a slightly more covert surveillance system. We were disappointed that it didn't record video footage, but the still image capture worked well, and should satisfy most users.
Multiple camera security surveillance over a network (using Internet Protocol) can be expensive to implement. Swann has created a surveillance solution that delivers exactly the same thing - multiple camera security - at a competitive price.
If Bond had relied on the Wireless Pencam, he wouldn't have lasted very long.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Toucan promises to convert your simple porch light into a high-tech security system
- Axis showcases latest network video surveillance products
- High-def video surveillance standard viewed as boon to users
- Axis introduces P13 network camera series
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDeveloper - OSB/BPELNSW
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- FTApplication Manager | Telco IndustryVIC
- CCIT Solution Architect - ApplicationsNSW
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence ConsultantSA
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- CCAzure DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - BINSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- CCSiebel AnalystACT
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerACT