While it won’t affect everyone, a serious bug reared its head at the weekend with me. When you drive into a tunnel and then hit a traffic jam, Apple Maps keeps going at the same speed. While this is something I’ve actually wanted for tunnel navigation for some time, you’d think that navigation would stop and wait for you once you return to the surface and into the sunlight again. But not this time.
GPS & Car Tech
Everybody loves gadgets, but there is something about gadgets and cars that just screams cool.
Loaded with features for the serious runner, the Garmin Forerunner 405CX is a premium GPS watch aimed at the enthusiast end of the market.
QStarz's BT-Q1300 Travel Recorder is a Bluetooth GPS device that can be used to track and log your movements. Designed as a keyring, the BT-Q1300 can interact with Google Earth and Google Maps.
GPS technology has been available in cameras for a while now, allowing users to determine where and when photos were taken. The ATP Photo Finder mini isn’t the first to bring automatic geo-tagging to the masses, but its simplicity and a nice design make it a worthwhile device for people unwilling to fork out money for a GPS-equipped camera.
Small and light enough to use as a key ring, but powerful enough to track up to 20 GPS satellites, Freedom's mini GPS is a compact, convenient and simple GPS receiver that is compatible with most Bluetooth devices and navigation software packages.
The GPS navigation market continues to grow and Sony Ericsson has seen fit to delve into this popular category with the release of the HGE-100 - a simple add on that turns most Sony Ericsson phones into a personal navigation system.
QStarz's BT-Q1000 Travel Recorder is a Bluetooth GPS device that can be used as a navigation device, or to track your movements and record your places of interest. Best of all, it can upload data to Google Earth to give you a clear visual of where you've been and how long it took you to get there. It's a tiny device that fits comfortably into a pocket and its software offers some good customisation options.
Boasting 32 channels and 32 hours of continuous use from a single charge, QStarz BT-Q818 is a simple but extremely effective GPS receiver. Although it lacks a suction cup to mount to a window, it performs reliably well and is quick to gain a GPS fix.
With GPS becoming more and more popular, the push for navigation continues to gather pace. If your mobile phone or PDA doesn't have a built in GPS receiver, then Nokia's LD-4W -- a simple, but practical Bluetooth GPS receiver -- can turn it into a full navigational device.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior programmer / ProgrammerAsia
- FTMigration Release CoordinatorACT
- TPSenior Analyst|Progress ProgrammerQLD
- FTCRM Developer - MS Dynamics CRMNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Architect, Markets and ProductsNSW
- TPSenior Full Stack .NET Developer - AngularJSNSW
- TPSenior Software EngineerQLD
- CCData Scientist (Big Data)VIC
- CCSecurity Data ScientistVIC
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Systems Analyst | Travel IndustryQLD
- CCContract Programmer (HTML5/Java/Oracle) 161031/P/551Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Oracle/Unix/WebLogic) 161020/SA/693Asia
- FTSolutions ArchitectNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCProject SchedulerSA
- CCProject Change ManagerNSW
- CCContract Management SpecialistNSW
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- FTNetwork Specialist - Palo Alto FirewallsVIC
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCApplications Support Technical OfficerACT
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantQLD
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerSA