While it won’t affect everyone, a serious bug reared its head at the weekend with me. When you drive into a tunnel and then hit a traffic jam, Apple Maps keeps going at the same speed. While this is something I’ve actually wanted for tunnel navigation for some time, you’d think that navigation would stop and wait for you once you return to the surface and into the sunlight again. But not this time.
GPS & Car Tech
Everybody loves gadgets, but there is something about gadgets and cars that just screams cool.
Loaded with features for the serious runner, the Garmin Forerunner 405CX is a premium GPS watch aimed at the enthusiast end of the market.
QStarz's BT-Q1300 Travel Recorder is a Bluetooth GPS device that can be used to track and log your movements. Designed as a keyring, the BT-Q1300 can interact with Google Earth and Google Maps.
GPS technology has been available in cameras for a while now, allowing users to determine where and when photos were taken. The ATP Photo Finder mini isn’t the first to bring automatic geo-tagging to the masses, but its simplicity and a nice design make it a worthwhile device for people unwilling to fork out money for a GPS-equipped camera.
Small and light enough to use as a key ring, but powerful enough to track up to 20 GPS satellites, Freedom's mini GPS is a compact, convenient and simple GPS receiver that is compatible with most Bluetooth devices and navigation software packages.
The GPS navigation market continues to grow and Sony Ericsson has seen fit to delve into this popular category with the release of the HGE-100 - a simple add on that turns most Sony Ericsson phones into a personal navigation system.
QStarz's BT-Q1000 Travel Recorder is a Bluetooth GPS device that can be used as a navigation device, or to track your movements and record your places of interest. Best of all, it can upload data to Google Earth to give you a clear visual of where you've been and how long it took you to get there. It's a tiny device that fits comfortably into a pocket and its software offers some good customisation options.
Boasting 32 channels and 32 hours of continuous use from a single charge, QStarz BT-Q818 is a simple but extremely effective GPS receiver. Although it lacks a suction cup to mount to a window, it performs reliably well and is quick to gain a GPS fix.
With GPS becoming more and more popular, the push for navigation continues to gather pace. If your mobile phone or PDA doesn't have a built in GPS receiver, then Nokia's LD-4W -- a simple, but practical Bluetooth GPS receiver -- can turn it into a full navigational device.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Software Engineer / Architect (Network Technologies)NSW
- CCSenior Test EngineerACT
- FTSystems Engineer - Managed Service ProviderVIC
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- TPSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- FTServicing Financial Planner - CBDNSW
- CCApplication Support Lead/ ManagerNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator - Permanent Opportunity!NSW
- CCPlatform Services EngineerNSW
- FT2nd Level Desktop Support Analyst l SCCMNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - .NETNSW
- CCAutoCAD Business System Analyst/ GIS, Spatial AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Designer - MulesoftVIC
- FTTechnical Solutions Architect - CloudNSW
- CCWeb Designer or Visual Interactional DesignerNSW
- CCSales Support AssociateNSW
- CCHelp Desk Support Engineer - Finance/TradingNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - SQLNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Performance Test AnalystQLD
- CCSales Support AssociateNSW
- CCProject Manager - Procurement System ImplementationNSW
- FTService Delivery Management LeadQLD
- TPPrincipal Project ManagerQLD
- CCCloud Automation Engineer. Work Location - CanberraNSW