Soniq’s 23in HD LED LCD TV/DVD combo is a good deal if you’re after a spare TV and media player for anywhere in the home, and you don’t want to pay more than a couple of hundred bucks for one.
The Panasonic DMR-XW480 is a high-end, 500GB DVD recorder with dual HD digital tuners that allow you to record two TV channels simultaneously. Other highlights include high-definition video recording, a seven-day Electronic Program Guide (EPG) and access to popular Web sites like YouTube via an Ethernet connection. It's essentially a PVR with an inbuilt DVD recorder and added Web functionality.
The LG HR558D is a 3D Blu-ray player/250GB PVR combo with twin digital HD television tuners. The LG HR558D also comes with integrated Wi-Fi (802.11n) and a front-mounted USB port with DivX HD support. In other words, it provides the functionality of a PVR, a 3D Blu-ray player, a set-top box and a media streamer -- all in one lightweight device.
The Sony RDR-HDC100 is a high-definition HDD/DVD recorder that doubles as a personal video recorder (PVR). It comes with an inbuilt digital TV tuner and a 160GB hard drive that can store up to 270 hours of video content. The Sony RDR-HDC100 is a reasonable choice for multimedia enthusiasts who want a fuss-free video recorder. It boasts a user-friendly interface and plenty of codec support, including DivX. However, the lack of twin TV tuners or fast DVD dubbing reduces the appeal significantly, especially given the asking price.
The Sony RDR-HDC300 is a high-definition HDD/DVD recorder with a 320GB hard drive. It slots in-between the Sony RDR-HDC 100 (120GB) and Sony RDR-HDC500 (500GB) in the company's PVR line-up. Apart from hard drive capacity, all three models are essentially the same.
The LG HR599D is a high-definition HDD recorder with a 500GB hard drive, twin digital HD television tuners and the ability to play Blu-ray discs. The HR599D Twin HD Recorder / Blu-ray Disc Combo also comes with integrated Wi-Fi (802.11n) and a front-mounted USB port with DivX support. In other words, it provides the functionality of a PVR, a Blu-ray player and a media streamer -- all in one sleek looking device.
The Sony RDR-HDC500 (AKA Sony RDR-DC 505) is an HDD/DVD recorder with a 500GB hard drive capable of recording in Full HD.
Panasonic's DMR-XW350 is a high-end DVD recorder that slots somewhere between the DMR-XW450 and DMR-EX79 in the company's digital video recorder (DVR) line-up.
It's been on the market for more than 12 months but Foxtel's iQ2 digital video recorder (DVR) continues to become more useful, with Foxtel adding new HD channels to its arsenal.
The Toshiba SDP92SKY is a portable DVD player with a swivelling 9in LCD screen. It comes with a smattering of intriguing features, including DivX media support, an AV input connection and an SD card slot for playback of video files, MP3s and photos. Unfortunately, it’s also a bit on the pricey side compared to other portable DVD players, without much to justify the extra premium. Simply put, there are cheaper models on the block that do a similar job.
Toshiba has accused Imation and a number of other firms that manufacture and distribute recordable DVDs of infringing its copyright.
Move over VHS. The time has well and truly arrived for hard disk drive recorders.
DVD/VCR combo drives give you the best of both worlds. Read on to find the right one for your needs.
Portable DVD players take your DVDs out of the lounge room and into cars, trains, buses, parks ... in fact, anywhere you go.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Join the PC World newsletter!
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW