The fight for the living room is heating up with Apple recently upping the ante with the reboot of the Apple TV and telecommunications giant, Telstra, making moves of its own with the release of the Roku powered Telstra TV.
The Apple TV is a great networked media player, but it would be greater still if it supported more file types and played from more locations. By locations, I mean over the network from something other than an iTunes server, and—oh, I don’t know—an attached USB drive?
The WD TV is a media player savvy enough to jump online with a friendly retail price of $150. It consists of a box the size of a hard drive and one of the most ingeniously laid out remote controls.
Though otherwise a fairly standard NAS box, the AS-304T’s HDMI output and USB keyboard/mouse support allow it to function as a full-featured XMBC media centre.
Western Digital's NAS-optimised 'WD Red' drives are now available in 2.5-inch models at 750GB and 1TB, and a new 4TB model pushes up the maximum capacity of the existing 3.5-inch range.
The Acer Revo 100 is a home-theatre PC that actually looks and feels like a home-theatre PC. It has a slim body that doesn't take up a lot of space and it contains only essential ports and slots, thereby making it look inconspicuous in a typical TV cabinet, or indeed when placed next to a TV. It even has a built-in navigation device that can be removed from the PC and used in place of a desktop-style keyboard and mouse.
The Iomega ScreenPlay TV Link Director Edition offers all the features one would expect – in terms of supported multimedia file formats, extra USB ports, wired and optional wireless networking, internet connectivity, usability of UI and remote, and quality of playback of 1080p videos.
The ASRock Ion 330HT-BD is a 'nettop' desktop PC with Intel's Atom 330 1.6GHz dual-core processor and NVIDIA ION integrated graphics. It has hardware acceleration to play back 1080p Blu-ray video free of any stuttering or buffering, and the integrated graphics are good enough for some limited gaming.
Western Digital's WD TV Mini high media player might be small, but it can be used to access most types of video, audio or photo files from a USB external hard drive. Though lacking HDMI, the WD TV Mini is a perfect match for older televisions or those that have a spare component input.
The Seagate FreeAgent Theater is a media player designed to connect your Seagate FreeAgent Go external hard drive to a television for photo, audio and video playback
The High Court of Australia's decision regarding the legality of the reproduction of Channel Nine's television programming guide by third-party provider IceTV will be handed down tomorrow morning at 10:15 EST.
Claritas is a company that’s dedicated to building powerful, high quality media centre PCs. Its latest, the 14.2 VFD, is a product that has plenty of power, great looks and exemplary build quality.
Iomega is a company best known for its storage solutions — capacious, speedy devices with plenty of connectivity. The ScreenPlay HD stays true to this ethos, but doesn’t back it up with much in the way of media playback support.
Devices such as the LinkSYS Media Center Extender with DVD Player DMA2200 enable you to connect your television to your computer via a home network and control Media Center from the comfort of your couch
Read on to find out how to consolidate all your home entertainment and PC needs into one solution.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- WD Red range gains new 2.5-inch and 4TB models
- IceTV High Court decision to be handed down tomorrow morning
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- FTIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCSolution Delivery Manager / Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Network ArchitectVIC
- CCNetwork Security Engineer - Cisco ISEVIC
- FTWeb Front- End DeveloperSA
- FTLevel 3 Support ConsultantNSW
- TPICT - Contracts and Commercial AnalystQLD
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- PTVBA Analyst Programmer - Permanent / Part Time (3 days per week)QLD
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & Lending - Brisbane Based RoleNSW
- FTNational Manager of Security - We are looking for a strong Leader - Syd CBDNSW
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- CCICT Strategy ConsultantNSW
- CCJunior Project ManagerQLD
- TPSOA DeveloperNSW
- CCWeb Architect - Ruby, Python, Java, Open sourceNSW
- CCVirtualization ArchitectACT
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerACT
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- FTTechnical Content CoordinatorVIC
- FTJunior Design Project CoordinatorQLD
- CCData Migration Lead - SAPNSW
- CCSenior Full-stack .Net DeveloperNSW