The Tivoli Music System is a small, integrated hi-fi that will work wonders in a bedroom or small-sized living room. It has all you need in a sturdy, good-looking wooden enclosure. You might balk at the over-$1000 price tag, but exceptional audio performance and build quality rarely come cheap.
The Sony SA-NS510 is a wireless, battery-powered hi-fi speaker with an interesting design. We’ve seen it likened to an upturned vase, a traffic cone, and a vertical wind tunnel. We happen to think it looks more like a futuristic trash can.
In the past twelve months, dozens of hi-fi speakers with built-in Wi-Fi networking have popped up on electronics store shelves. While our gold standard is still Sonos’s excellent PLAY:5 speaker, we were recently impressed by Libratone’s Lounge and Live.
JBL recently updated its mini hi-fi speaker docks with three new systems: the OnBeat Awake, the OnBeat Rize, and the OnBeat Venue. The Venue is the big brother of this group, with a body that hides four speakers and 30 Watts of oomph.
Libratone is a small Danish audio company with three products: the mini Zipp, the midi Live and the maxi Lounge. Each speaker is exceedingly simple -- no volume controls or superfluous buttons, minimalist designs with exacting construction. They’re marketed at buyers who love their iPhones, iPads and iPods, and want to share their music.
If you’re looking for a simple wireless speaker that can play music from your Apple iPhone, iPod or iPad, you’re spoilt for choice. Ever since the B&W Zeppelin Air came through our offices in early 2011, most of the hi-fi speakers we’ve tested have had AirPlay capability.
Samsung’s DA-E750 is a wireless audio dock that has taken inspiration from the past -- it’s got a glossy wooden finish, and two glowing valve amp tubes up top -- but it’s definitely up to date when it comes to built-in features.
When we first had a look at Sony’s Muteki 7.2-channel home theatre hi-fi system, we were impressed with the sheer amount of audio power it could muster.
The Pure Contour 200i Air is a beefed-up version of the Contour 100Di, with a slightly altered design, upgraded speakers, and Apple’s AirPlay wireless music protocol. It’s ditched the internal radio circuitry, though — the 200i Air is for streaming music only.
At the 2012 Samsung Forum, we had the chance to listen to Samsung’s new wireless audio docks. These speaker systems can dock both Apple iDevices and Samsung smartphones, making them a smart choice for a household that’s not committed to either Android or iOS.
The market for DAB+ digital radios is starting to heat up in Australia. We've taken a look at the best digital radios at three different price points.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Join the PC World newsletter!
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT