Linux is beginning to find its legs as the foundation in many different technologies and in the process is fueling a feedback loop that is helping accelerate the operating system's popularity.
Ubuntu Linux has been taking a kicking this week in the crazed, hedonistic world of online forums. It appears that using Ubuntu on a laptop could kill its hard drive.
SourceForge has forged a name for itself as the one-stop shop for downloading open source software. Now it looks like it is heading to mega market status, adding services to its suite, with the recent Beta launch of Source.Forge.net Marketplace.
Are you geek enough for Linux? Though it first earned a reputation as a platform for hobbyists and hackers, Linux has come a long way since Linus Torvalds cobbled together the first kernel as a student project. A modern Linux desktop is a sophisticat...
By opening its .NET Framework libraries Microsoft is again responding to the leadership of the Open Source community, according to industry consultants and developers, but remaining on the back foot.
Canonical, the company that supports Ubuntu Linux, is trying to work out a deal with hardware vendors such as Dell to make Ubuntu available preinstalled on servers.
The popular PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) dynamic language continues to attract software heavyweights Microsoft, Oracle, and IBM. Their latest alliances with PHP tools maker Zend Technologies will be highlighted this week at Zend's technical conferenc...
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says Red Hat Linux uses intellectual property owned by Microsoft and that Red Hat's customers should pay Microsoft for it.
A group of seven companies including Mozilla, Arm and MontaVista Software are hoping to grow the market for a relatively new device category that sits in between a smartphone and a laptop.
A very small Linux operating system, known as Puppy Linux, has had a "major upgrade" after version 3.0 hit the streets this week.
Opening up to developers, Microsoft is releasing its .Net Framework libraries under the Microsoft Reference License, which allows viewing of source code but not modification or redistribution, the company said on Wednesday.
Digium, whose open source Asterisk IP PBX spawned a host of start-ups that commercialise the software, has bought up one of them because it has a better user interface than Digium's.
Messaging vendor PostPath Monday added a variety of client options and upgraded the mobile support in its Linux-based replica of Microsoft Exchange server.
A new open source player called Projity is advertising its desktop software as a "complete replacement" for Microsoft Office Project, but analysts say it faces a tough road in its bid to win a large chunk of the project management market.
Sun Microsystems will begin expanding this week its line of x86-based servers to include rack-mounted systems based on Intel processors -- an announcement that comes eight months after Sun and Intel signed a joint development agreement.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- LinuxWorld: Community roots bolster Linux growth
- Ubuntu: laptop killer
- SourceForge heads from one-stop shop to Mega-market
- Windows to desktop Linux in three easy steps
- Consultant: Microsoft responds to Open Source leadership
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCChange and Communications ManagerQLD
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA