Not so long ago, the only way to see whether Linux would run on a particular PC was to install the OS on its hard drive. Times change. Nowadays, many so-called live CD versions of Linux boot and run solely from a CD-ROM. Ubuntu Linux, our 2005 World ...
One of the many neat things about free software is that you get to play with stuff before it's officially done. Matthew Newton sinks his teeth into Sun Microsystems' latest.
Matthew Newton gives his recommendations for those of us who are thinking of taking the Linux plunge, but need a little coaxing.
Our free software guru looks at new software for his desktop - some of which he can run, some of which he can't.
Taking Linux and installing it on an alternative hardware platform may not be easy, but you can learn a lot from the experience.
It may lack an all-in-one solution like Apple's iPhoto, but there are tools that make using a digital camera with Linux easy.
Microsoft Exchange is a standard groupware platform in many corporate environments, but it needn't be limited to just Windows.
Not all digital TV cards are supported by Linux, but the Hauppauge NOVA-T is. What's more, it's the only one to allow digital TV streaming across a network.
Six years ago this month Linux became my primary operating system; it happened almost overnight. The startup company I had been working for imploded. I was at home, working on my resume, when my Windows PC crashed for the umpteenth time. I knew a bit...
NFS (Network File System) is a protocol used by UNIX/Linux computers to share disks across a network. Similar to the Common Internet File Services (CIFS) protocol used by Windows, NFS is older and more light-weight, and performs much more efficiently...
If you use several computers connected on a network, it can become a hassle to keep track of the usernames and passwords you use to access each machine. NIS (Network Information Service) lets you to keep a centralised database of usernames and passwo...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- LinuxWorld: Community roots bolster Linux growth
- Ubuntu: laptop killer
- SourceForge heads from one-stop shop to Mega-market
- Windows to desktop Linux in three easy steps
- Consultant: Microsoft responds to Open Source leadership
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- CCTechnical Project Manager, MigrationNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCContract System Engineer (Lotus Domin) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- CCSAP Primavera Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- FTJava or Ruby Web DeveloperVIC
- FTOracle Middleware ConsultantNSW
- CC.NET DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution Design EngineerACT
- FTJunior Software Developer- Complex Tax/ Superannuation SolutionNSW
- CCProgram Master SchedulerNSW
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- FTLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- CCIBM InfoSphere ConsultantACT
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- CCMultiple Java rolesACT
- CCRisk and Quality Assurance AnalystVIC
- CCSecurity Consultant/Analyst (Data Loss Prevention)WA
- FTWintel EngineerACT
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW