Not so long ago, the only way to see whether Linux would run on a particular PC was to install the OS on its hard drive. Times change. Nowadays, many so-called live CD versions of Linux boot and run solely from a CD-ROM. Ubuntu Linux, our 2005 World ...
One of the many neat things about free software is that you get to play with stuff before it's officially done. Matthew Newton sinks his teeth into Sun Microsystems' latest.
Matthew Newton gives his recommendations for those of us who are thinking of taking the Linux plunge, but need a little coaxing.
Our free software guru looks at new software for his desktop - some of which he can run, some of which he can't.
Taking Linux and installing it on an alternative hardware platform may not be easy, but you can learn a lot from the experience.
It may lack an all-in-one solution like Apple's iPhoto, but there are tools that make using a digital camera with Linux easy.
Microsoft Exchange is a standard groupware platform in many corporate environments, but it needn't be limited to just Windows.
Not all digital TV cards are supported by Linux, but the Hauppauge NOVA-T is. What's more, it's the only one to allow digital TV streaming across a network.
Six years ago this month Linux became my primary operating system; it happened almost overnight. The startup company I had been working for imploded. I was at home, working on my resume, when my Windows PC crashed for the umpteenth time. I knew a bit...
NFS (Network File System) is a protocol used by UNIX/Linux computers to share disks across a network. Similar to the Common Internet File Services (CIFS) protocol used by Windows, NFS is older and more light-weight, and performs much more efficiently...
If you use several computers connected on a network, it can become a hassle to keep track of the usernames and passwords you use to access each machine. NIS (Network Information Service) lets you to keep a centralised database of usernames and passwo...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- LinuxWorld: Community roots bolster Linux growth
- Ubuntu: laptop killer
- SourceForge heads from one-stop shop to Mega-market
- Windows to desktop Linux in three easy steps
- Consultant: Microsoft responds to Open Source leadership
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- FTOracle Fusion Implementation ConsultantNSW
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Performance & Automation EngineerNSW
- CCUrgent requirement for a Splunk SMEVIC
- FTTechnical COE SpecialistACT
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- FTSystems Analyst - ERPNSW
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTStorage ConsultantACT
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA / SQL) 160621/JP/224Asia
- FTManager of Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- CCJava DevelopersACT
- FTSoftware Services Team LeaderNSW
- CCAEM Backend DeveloperVIC
- CCSystems Engineer / Applications Scripting DeveloperSA
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- CCContract System Analyst (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC