Intel's Atom smartphone chip cancellations pull the curtain back on an ugly past in which the company shot itself in the foot with bad timing and ill-advised executive decisions.
Intel's Atom processor architecture will live on despite the recent cancellation of next-generation smartphone chips.
A strong camera upgrade and support for the latest charging standard could help Samsung's next phablet stand out.
Future smartphones may no longer need a dedicated button for unlocking the device or performing other actions with a fingerprint.
"New vendors would be well-advised not to rest on their laurels..."
Telstra will commit $50 million on new measures to reduce the likelihood of further disruptions to its mobile network following a series of outages earlier this year.
A new report from IDC tracks the tablet's ongoing decline, while detachable tablets like Microsoft's Surface rise in popularity. Now smartphone vendors are getting into the act, applying their mobile acumen to compete with PC vendors.
Virtual reality was the star of the show when Samsung executives took the stage this week at its annual developer conference.
There's also interest brewing in the tablet space, as the Nexus 9 has disappeared from the Google Store.
The global smartphone market saw its first year-on-year decline in the first quarter, with both Samsung Electronics and Apple shipping fewer phones, according to a research firm.
AMD is licensing its x86 chip architecture to a new joint venture it has formed with a consortium of Chinese companies.
This could be a sign that Google's beta build of Android could come to more non-Nexus devices.
It seems no flagship phone line is complete without some type of pink option.
Microsoft's new patent filing envisions a trackpoint with an embedded fingerprint sensor, enabling Windows Hello in mobile devices.
The update also makes several interface improvements, though it's only for Nexus devices.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- How Intel knocked itself out of the smartphone chip market
- Intel's Atom architecture to live on despite smartphone chip cancellations
- Galaxy Note 6 rumors hint at IR autofocus, USB-C connectivity, new Snapdragon SoC
- LG shows off a smartphone display panel with integrated fingerprint reader
- Smartphone uptake passes its peak as industry appetite wanes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- CCIT Network SpecialistVIC
- FTSQL DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- CCSenior AGILE Business AnalystNSW
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCJava Developer (front end)WA
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Portfolio Services ManagementNSW
- CCSenior Frontend DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSenior Analyst, Applications - GDWVIC
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCICT Transformation Project Manager- University, Education bckgNSW
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Automation Tester - MicroservicesNSW
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW