Nokia's latest Internet tablet boasts a convenient slide-out QWERTY keyboard, a built-in GPS receiver and a stunning 4.1in touch-screen display. Although this device won't appeal to everyone, early adopters and gadget-keen consumers are sure to be impressed.
Although smartphones have emerged as the ideal mobile device in recent years, there are still many consumers who would prefer to keep their phone separate. Sporting a gorgeous VGA display and dual memory card slots, HP's latest enterprise PDA is ideal for both business and entertainment use.
In an age where your phone is also your computer...as well as your GPS, and your MP3 player and hopefully soon your all-in-one breakfast maker, you could be forgiven for thinking that the lowly PDA has had its time. However, there is still a small group of people who prefer to have a fully fledged PDA in addition to their other devices, and HP are catering for this niche nicely with their latest iPAQ the 112.
HP's iPAQ 312 is a strange device. Fitting somewhere between a PDA, a GPS and a mobile phone accessory, this unit packs in GPS functionality with some entertainment tools and Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity to create what HP has dubbed as the 'Travel Companion'.
It has been relatively quiet on the PDA front of late, but ASUS still believes there is life in this category yet with the release of their GPS-equipped MyPal A696. Sporting a brushed metal design, a SiRF Star III GPS chipset and a 3.5in anti-glare display, the A696 is unfortunately hindered by running Windows Mobile 5, instead of the latest 6.0 version - though the latest batch of units boast the Windows Mobile 6 upgrade.
Satnav, a feature that was once found only in the most expensive cars, is increasingly crammed on to the screens of smart phones and PDAs and hidden beneath the passenger seat of rusty bangers.
Designed by Hewlett-Packard as a 'Travel Companion', the iPAQ rx5965 is the upgraded model to the previous line of PDA's, consisting of the [[prodid:2671]] and [[prodid:2653]]. The rx5965 adds GPS navigation using TomTom software to an already enticing multimedia package.
Pitched as a 'Mobile Media Companion', the iPAQ rx4240 is HP's latest attempt at breathing new life into the increasingly flagging PDA market. With portable media player sales booming, it makes sense for HP to push the rx4240's multimedia capabilities over its productivity features.
Pitched as a 'Mobile Media Companion', the iPAQ rx4540 is HP's latest attempt at breathing new life into the increasingly flagging PDA market. With portable media player sales booming, it makes sense for HP to push the rx4540's multimedia capabilities over its productivity features.
The MC50 from Symbol Technologies is directly targeted at medium to large enterprise consumers to cater for mobile computing applications. Symbol is best known for their data scanning and reading products, and the MC50 continues this theme, one version shipping with an inbuilt data scanner.
Want to get your life in order? Then a personal digital assistant (PDA) could be the right product for you.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCQuality Assurance LeadNSW
- CCDatacenter EngineerNSW
- FTMid to senior Java Software EngineerNSW
- FTMigration Release CoordinatorACT
- TPChange Manager | GovernmentQLD
- CCSenior Pega DeveloperVIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTPeopleSoft Business Analyst x 2QLD
- CCEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCContract Programmer (Internet/Intranet) 161019/P/615Asia
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- CCKofax DeveloperQLD
- FTWebSphere MQ Application SupportSA
- FTBusiness/Technical Consultant (CPM)QLD
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- FTPre-Sales Consultant - HardwareVIC
- CCSenior Security AnalystVIC
- FTLevel 1/2 Service Desk AnalystWA
- CCITSM Process AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - UNIX/LinuxVIC
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Solution Architect (Permanent and/or Contract Option)QLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTSystems SpecialistNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security/Admin.) 161014/SA/253Asia