Given its audio cassette player heritage, Sony’s new all-digital NWZ-ZX1 shouldn't surprise onlookers with its somewhat chunky and asymmetric design. In the 35 years of Walkman history (first debuting in 1979 with the TPS-L2), the device has gone through various incarnations and evolutionary branches including CDs, MiniDiscs, MP3s and more recently sharing its DNA with Sony-Ericsson and Sony Xperia smartphones.
MP3 & Portable Media Players
The ever-evolving iPod nano is in its seventh regeneration now, with an announcement alongside the iPhone 5 and iPod touch that promised a redesign around a new 2.5-inch widescreen display, Bluetooth, a pedometer and Lightning.
The Apple iPod touch received an update at the same time as the new iPhone 5, incorporating new hardware and features from the new phone as well as the older iPhone 4S.
It's not as popular as the iPhone 5, and it's not as exciting as the iPod touch, but the new Apple iPod nano deserves its time in the sun: it's the thinnest iPod ever, and has the largest display ever used in this particular pint-sized media player.
It may not have received the fanfare of the shiny iPhone 5, but the refreshed iPod touch is just as new.
The iPod touch is now even slimmer, at 7.2mm, comes with iOS5 and supports iCloud -- a neat way of accessing your music and Photostream from anywhere via the web. The iMessage feature now lets you send secure messages over Wi-Fi too.
The Sony XDR-C706DBP DAB+ is a bedside digital clock radio with good audio quality given its petite size and lack of stereo sound. It's considerably smaller than the $199 Sony XDR-S16DBP DAB+ digital radio, though not much cheaper at $149. We think that considering the XDR-C706DBP's feature-set, its price seems a tad steep.
The Pure Oasis Flow is a must-have item for lovers of radio and the outdoors. It's a portable, rechargeable and weatherproof DAB+ digital radio that's also capable of playing FM radio and Internet radio stations.
The OXX Digital Pocket is exactly what a portable digital radio should be.
The Grundig Roam (GPR800DAB) is a handheld digital (DAB+) and FM radio that performs relatively well, but it could use some extra features.
Apple's iPod Shuffle has returned to its roots: unlike the third-generation iPod Shuffle, there are physical playback controls on the MP3 player itself.
For the last couple of weeks, I've been running with a new gadget: Adidas' miCoach Pacer, a set of three small devices that combine audio coaching with a stride sensor and a heart-rate monitor. There's a lot to like about the miCoach Pacer, but a buggy Web site and the lack of native application support undermine what otherwise could be a very useful tool.
The market for DAB+ digital radios is starting to heat up in Australia. We've taken a look at the best digital radios at three different price points.
Gear up for the long weekend with a smokin' plasma TV deal and more!
Archos has announced that its Windows touchscreen tablet PC - the Archos 9 - will hit the UK this autumn for £450.
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- On the run with Adidas' miCoach Pacer
- Archos 9 tablet PC runs Windows 7
- RUMOR: Microsoft developing Zune-Xbox handheld gaming device
- Apple rumors: iPod gets an iPhone-like camera
- iPod Touch: The iPod of War
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSnr Salesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTDeployment EngineerSA
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- FTPMO Project Analytics and Tools ManagerNSW
- FTEUC Solution Architect l Large Transformation ProjectNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCApplication PackagerNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- TPICT Training and Development OfficerQLD
- FTPMO CoordinatorNSW
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT roleNSW
- TPPerformance Test Analyst - Perth BasedQLD
- FTDatabase DeveloperQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Digital Technologies Financial ServicesQLD
- FTSenior .Net Developer (Silverlight)VIC
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- CCDevOps Engineer - TelcoVIC
- TPSolution Architect - Transport DomainVIC