The Toshiba SDP92SKY is a portable DVD player with a swivelling 9in LCD screen. It comes with a smattering of intriguing features, including DivX media support, an AV input connection and an SD card slot for playback of video files, MP3s and photos. Unfortunately, it’s also a bit on the pricey side compared to other portable DVD players, without much to justify the extra premium. Simply put, there are cheaper models on the block that do a similar job.
Portable DVD Players
The Panasonic DMP-B15 is the world’s first portable Blu-ray player. It combines an 8.9in LCD screen and a BD optical drive in a (semi) portable package. It also doubles as a player for the home, complete with YouTube functionality and BD-Live support -- not too shabby for a portable device.
Toshiba’s SD-P91SKY is a portable DVD player that does not have the resolution of more expensive units, but instead focuses on extra functionality.
LG's DP392G is designed for use both in the home and on the move, incorporating the features and styling of a digital photo frame into a portable DVD player. It handles both roles admirably, only being hampered by the lack of a screen cover.
Teac's DVP904 is a budget portable DVD player, although it also features an external audio and video input. As a DVD player for in-car use it works well, thanks to the 9in screen and competent stereo speakers. The system is compromised by a noisy DVD drive and a pair of headphone outputs that suffer from a lot of electrical interference.
Toshiba's SD-P1900 is a mid-range portable DVD player. It lacks the resolution and video quality of high-end models, but comes at a reasonable price and delivers a solid functionality, without any major flaws. Video quality is satisfactory, although the inbuilt speakers are slightly disappointing. Nevertheless, the P1900 is generally quite serviceable, and while it's not the highest quality portable DVD player available, it's a suitable mid-range unit.
Toshiba's SD-P2900 is the company's flagship portable DVD player. With a 10.2in screen, 800x480 resolution and a jam packed feature list, it's quite a respectable model. The high price tag is its biggest drawback, but for users looking for everything it offers, it's a very solid option. Video quality is generally pretty good, although we did have some issues with the audio.
The Panasonic DVD-LS80 is a portable DVD player with an 8.5in LCD screen. It offers basic functionality, as well as the ability to play back DivX files, but the image quality is fairly poor and only suitable for casual viewing by those that don't know any better.
Portable DVD players take your DVDs out of the lounge room and into cars, trains, buses, parks ... in fact, anywhere you go.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 2 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 3 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 4 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 5 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTProject Coordinator / AdministratorNSW
- CCWeb Developer (Drupal)SA
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP Portal DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - ServerSA
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCF5 Infrastructure AdministratorNSW
- CCData Warehouse Specialist- Power BI, SSAS DBA, Azure, SQLNSW
- CCAEM Backend DeveloperVIC
- FTIT Project Coordinator- Data Center Infrastructure backgroundNSW
- CCScrum Master with Java development backgroundACT
- CCSystems Engineer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- FTIT Support Analyst (Renewal Contract)Asia
- CCSenior Systems AnalystACT
- FTSenior Network Engineer JUNIPERNSW
- FTContract System SpecialistAsia
- CCSAP ABAP - Senior developerVIC
- CCProject Analyst/ CoordinatorVIC
- CCITSM ConsultantNSW
- CCSoftware Biomedical Solutions ArchitectSA
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- CCUser Experience AnalystACT
- FTSystems Analyst - ERPNSW
- CCBusiness Impact AssessmentsVIC
- CCSystems Engineer | Defence intelligence projects | NV2 clearanceACT