Eyes often gloss over when people broach the subject of modem-routers. That’s not the case with D-Link’s Taipan, a modem-router that looks like the wacky lovechild of Alien and Optimus Prime.
ADSL Modems & Routers
Telstra’s Advanced III is a small mobile hotspot that shares Telstra’s high speed network with your favourite devices. Then, when they run low on juice, it doubles as a portable battery.
Google is giving the ugly Wi-Fi router a makeover, with its own device the company claims is easier to use.
Telstra has partnered with Netgear to release the Wi-Fi 4G Advanced II wireless hotspot modem. The little black modem supports Telstra’s 4GX network and will share Internet with up to ten devices.
Vodafone’s latest defence against home broadband is a “Wi-Fi Cube” capable of connecting 32 devices to its 4G network.
The Viper is an ADSL2+ modem and wireless router in one, and it supports 802.11ac speeds up to 1300Mbps (megabits per second). What does this mean? It's quick, but you need supported devices to get the most out of it.
The BiPAC 8800AXL is Billion’s 802.11ac wireless router product, which can be used to distribute an ADSL2+ connection, or even fibre or mobile broadband. It’s a neat little unit that’s easy to install and use, and it proved to be reliable in our tests, though not as fast as we were expecting.
Belkin's AC1750 is one of the company's ADSL2+ modem-router products that doesn't actually feature the modem inside the main body. Instead, the modem is located in the power adapter, with the router being separate. It's a router that's dual-band, it supports speeds up to 1.3GHz when using 802.11ac, and it proved to be fast during our tests. But it wasn't without its faults and anger-inducing moments.
TP-Link's Archer D7 is a networking do-it-all for your home. It packs in an ADSL2+ modem, Gigabit Ethernet, and, most importantly, fast wireless in the form of 802.11ac with a rating of 1300Mbps. As is usual with TP-Link products, it represents good value for money thanks to its ability to supply steady performance and quick wireless transfers.
Belkin's AC1800 Dual Band Wireless Modem Router is a two-in-one ADSL2+ modem-router with an 802.11ac wireless performance of up to 1300Mbps. It maintains the physical shape and exterior finish of other recent Belkin routers that we've tested, and its interface is the same, too, but make no mistake, this is Belkin's flagship wireless router for home users.
TP-Link's TD-W8980 is an ADSL2+ modem-router that's fit to the run the Internet distribution needs of a fairly typical home network. We found it to be a reliable performer during our extended test period, and it was also very easy to set-up and use. Not bad traits at all for a model that's also inexpensive.
A new shape has been embraced by D-Link and it's cylindrical. The company's DSL-2890AL modem-router immediately stands out because of its tall and round design, but it's also got plenty of good stuff inside. It's an 802.11ac router that can supply fast and reliable wireless performance whether you use the new 802.11ac standard or just stick with 802.11n.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Google releases stylish $199 Wi-Fi router meant to be shown off
- Vodafone fends off home broadband with Wi-Fi Cube
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) AnalystQLD
- CCTechnical Solutions Specialist - Software Developer (Client facing)NSW
- FTSenior Developer (Full stack)SA
- FTPega Operation Engineer - CEPNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET C#/MS ASP .NET) 160526/AP/263Asia
- CCSystems Engineer - Wintel, VMWare and CitrixNSW
- CCIteration Manager/Agile Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Business IntelligenceVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- CCProject Manager - HFCVIC
- CCSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Developer - .Net, MVC, C#NSW
- CCDomain Specialist | Multiple RolesVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTPeoplesoft CRM DeveloperWA
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTRelease Planning LeadVIC
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CCRelease Manager, InfrastructureNSW
- CCNV1 Consultant | Groundbreaking Defence decision support applicationACT
- FTSenior Systems EngineerACT
- CCOracle Payroll Functional ConsultantNSW