Telstra and Microsoft have announced a partnership to bring hosted mobile application and unified communication services to small businesses, including its own souped-up version of Windows Mobile developed locally.
Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Cisco is expected to unveil a new service provider edge router on November 11 that's likely to succeed its aging 7600 series Ethernet platforms, according to an analyst's report.
Avaya is planning a core server with which customers and independent software vendors can easily build presence, voice and other communications modes into business applications.
Cisco Systems Wednesday announced the first TelePresence videoconferencing rooms available for public use, demonstrating the technology simultaneously for reporters in four locations in India, the US and the UK.
Startup Quantenna Communications on Tuesday unveiled chips that it hopes Wi-Fi equipment vendors will use to improve the performance of wireless home networking products over the next year.
Bloomberg reported last week that American Airlines flight attendants are urging their employer to block passengers from using inflight Internet access to view pornography and other inappropriate Web content.
Nortel this week unveiled a unified communications platform for small-to-midsized businesses that the company says allows them to save up to 70% of their investment in legacy Nortel phone systems.
Cisco’s Linksys unit this week unveiled a wireless Internet surveillance camera for small and midsize businesses.
Can Wi-Fi make you smarter?
As wireless devices become more numerous within businesses, their convenience will be counterbalanced by an increasing potential for security problems, according to a Gartner analyst.
Bringing wireless network access to remote work sites like mines and railways is always a challenge so a team of Aussie engineers have thrown a Wi-Fi mesh access point on the back of a custom-built tailor which is powered by the sun.
Today's data networks won't cut it as foundations for real-time applications like voice and video, experts said last week at the Interop New York 2008 conference.
Cisco this week launched several products designed to expand the capabilities of its switches and routers in further virtualizing data center systems and processes.
Today's "virtual office" solutions generally require customer-premises equipment (CPE), but the rise of cloud computing-based services will allow people to be "at the office" from any location with an Internet connection, according to Cisco.
As part of its aggressive push into becoming an overall IT player, Cisco may be looking to enter the blade server market to round out its data center portfolio and fortify its position in those lucrative, compute-intensive accounts.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- New wireless tech from MIT promises password-free Wi-Fi
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Consumers let down by broadband speed and performance: ACCAN
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- This Asus router is a powerful rebuttal to Google OnHub's stark simplicity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSAP Solution Architect- Data Migration to SAP HR, payrollNSW
- CCData ArchitectSA
- FTSystems application support analystNSW
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW
- FTData Center Operator (1-Year Renewal Contract)Asia
- CCMidrange Technical ArchitectQLD
- CCLevel 1 Helpdesk SupportNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- CCEnvironment Manager - POSVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Clinical SystemsSA
- FTStorage ConsultantACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW
- CCOffice 365 Project ManagerNSW
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst- BPMN, Testing backgroundNSW
- CCTenable Security - Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCAEM Backend DeveloperVIC
- CCServiceNow DeveloperVIC
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorVIC