The world's largest chip maker is working with Google on the Chrome operating system and has been privy to the project for some time, a spokesman for the company said Friday.
Notebooks - News
Dell on Friday said it would consider testing Google's upcoming Chrome operating system, but didn't commit to offering the Linux-based OS in future products.
File this under: Don't believe everything you see.
Whether you prefer Linux, Windows, or Mac OS X, you can probably get almost everything you need done with your chosen OS. However, sometimes a task demands an OS that you are not currently using. That's where virtualization programs like Sun Microsys...
Google Inc. says its coming Linux-based Chrome operating system will "start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds."
With the Internet abuzz this week about Google's newly announced plan for its upcoming Chrome OS operating system, some analysts are wondering what exactly will set it apart from its popular -- and established -- rivals.
Google is already working with several companies to develop devices around the new Chrome OS, including Hewlett-Packard and Acer, the company said in a blog post late Wednesday.
Google's Chrome OS won't be an immediate threat to Windows, but it may force Microsoft to reinvent its operating system more quickly into a product that takes full advantage of the Web and can move more nimbly across devices and form factors, analyst...
Google's entry into the operating system market poses a long-term threat to Microsoft, analysts who cover the maker of Windows said today.
As soon as Google Inc. announced it was working on the new Chrome operating system, questions arose over how the new OS will differ from the Android mobile OS, and whether it might spell the end of Android.
As Google Inc. acknowledges that its engineers are working on an operating system for netbooks and PCs, analysts say it's the company in the best position to take on Microsoft Corp. and its vaunted Windows software.
Google's announcement Tuesday that it is developing an open-source operating system raised questions among privacy advocates about the amount of personal data Google will be able to collect.
Apple should be nervous about Google's move into the operating system market, some analysts said today. Others, however, argued that Apple executives won't lose a second of sleep.
The coming Google Chrome Web-centric operating system could be a big boon for telecom vendors and wireless operators looking for another way to drive demand.
Google plans to announce within the next day or so the names of PC makers in Taiwan and China that have already signed on to work with its new Chrome operating system, a spokeswoman said Wednesday.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- SSD adoption in laptops exceeds expectations
- Apple will refund you for your iMac hinge repair costs
- MacBook Pro teardown reveals pointless speaker grilles and hard-to-replace Touch Bar
- Apple leads tablet sales, but the iPad Pro is not its best seller
- Latest MacBook Pro price reset resembles shift to Retina in 2012
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTERP Support ConsultantQLD
- FTServer Infrastructure Team LeaderACT
- CCAgile Iteration ManagerNSW
- CCFunctional Consultant - Brisbane locationVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager - Wealth/ AdviceNSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTTechnology Portfolio - Investment AnalystACT
- FTDesktop Support Team LeaderQLD
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- TPBusiness Objects DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Integration DeveloperSA
- CCJAVA Developer- XML, SOAP, GIS, Web services, SPRINGNSW
- TPAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTICT Business Liaison ManagerSA
- CCSenior Performance Test AnalystVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical Security LeadVIC
- FTData Integration or Big Data Specialist (Sales) - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- FTTelecom Riggers and TechniciansNSW
- CCService Desk OfficerSA
- FTSenior Projects Engineer | Systems Integration and IT Managed ServicesNSW
- FTJava DevelopersWA
- CCSenior Integration DeveloperOther
- CCTest EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - HRISQLD