Sony today took the first step into the netbook market, introducing the Vaio W line of mini laptops.
Notebooks - News
Just more than a year after it launches, Windows 7 will account for nearly half of all the client operating systems Microsoft ships to corporate users, according to forecasts by IDC.
Sony will begin selling its first netbook computer next month and in doing so enter the only sector of the PC market showing significant growth.
After being hampered by slow adoption, laptops with quick-boot capabilities may soon be upgraded with new features that could make them attractive to users.
Despite Advanced Micro Devices' historical stance that it has no interest in the netbook space, PC makers continue to build the chip maker's processors into low-cost PCs.
Microsoft will finish Windows 7 a week from today and declare the operating system ready for "release to manufacturing," several Web sites have reported.
Archos has announced that its Windows touchscreen tablet PC - the Archos 9 - will hit the UK this autumn for £450.
Demand for the next generation DRAM chip, DDR3 (double data rate, third generation), has spiked recently as systems makers turn to it for increased power efficiency and performance.
Microsoft will offer a multi-license "family pack" for Windows 7, according to a pair of bloggers who cite details in the end-user licensing agreement (EULA) of a recently-leaked build.
Consumers running Windows Vista Ultimate, who have blasted Microsoft for breaking promises to deliver a host of extras, are now knocking the company's upgrade plans and discount pricing for Windows 7.
Dell and Hewlett-Packard (HP) were criticized by Greenpeace for not implementing their product recycling services properly in India.
Greenpeace International on Wednesday criticized some major PC makers for backtracking on commitments to reduce hazardous substances in hardware.
Microsoft's Windows 7 Beta will start to spontaneously reboot every two hours beginning on Wednesday, the company has warned users.
Mobile carriers may start giving away netbooks for free, and Linux-based application stores could help them profit by doing it, the head of a Linux advocacy group told Chinese companies on Monday.
Microsoft's limit on the number of computers eligible for free Windows 7 upgrades is "artificial" and "silly," an analyst said today, and may create just the situation the company hoped to avoid: stalled PC sales.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- SSD adoption in laptops exceeds expectations
- Apple will refund you for your iMac hinge repair costs
- MacBook Pro teardown reveals pointless speaker grilles and hard-to-replace Touch Bar
- Apple leads tablet sales, but the iPad Pro is not its best seller
- Latest MacBook Pro price reset resembles shift to Retina in 2012
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCLotus Notes DeveloperNSW
- FTJAVA Developer- XML, SOAP, GIS, Web services, SPRINGVIC
- TPProject Coordinator - IT Projects - State GovernmentVIC
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectACT
- FTJava Full Stack DeveloerQLD
- CCService SupportACT
- CCSenior Infrastructure Project ManagerVIC
- TPAEM Developer (frontend)NSW
- CCPowerOn Mobile SpecialistWA
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- TPSHAREPOINT SPECIALISTQLD
- CCSenior Networks EngineerVIC
- FTIT Systems AnalystVIC
- CCManager - Superannuation ConsultingNSW
- FTSAP HR/Payroll Training Manager / Instructional DesignerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTWeb Developer/ DesignerSA
- CCTechnical Solutions Architect - CloudNSW
- CCDevelopment Manager / Engineering Manager - Canberra RoleNSW
- TPSharePoint Designer / DeveloperQLD
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCProject Manager - ProcurementNSW
- CCSenior Software EngineerACT
- CCJava Developer/ Web DesginerNSW