The One Laptop Per Child Project and Microsoft plan to make both Windows and Linux available on a version of the project's XO laptop, the companies said Thursday.
Windows developers are confirming the results of a survey released yesterday that found fewer than 1 in 12 programmers currently writing applications targeting Windows Vista.
Microsoft touted Windows Vista's lower patch count this week, saying it required about 20 percent fewer fixes in 2007 than the four-year-old Windows XP Service Pack 2.
A former Microsoft security manager has published a tool designed to detect and fix PCs that may be susceptible to "endless reboots" if updated to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).
With the new budget comes the announcement by the Treasurer of changes to the Fringe Benefits Tax law, which has tightened exemptions for eligible work-related items and property used on an employer's premises.
Microsoft's having a tough year with reboots. First it was a reboot ad infinitum in February, brought on by a flawed update to Windows Vista. Now the same thing's happening to some users who have updated to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).
Efficient management of water in some of the driest, most drought affected farming areas in NSW has reached a new world standard thanks to automated ordering systems that allow irrigation farmers to control water delivery at the touch of a keypad.
The vendor HyBlue says it can prevent the "cold boot" encryption hack discovered by Princeton researchers with a laptop security product announced Tuesday.
Microsoft is launching a program to promote the use of its Windows OS in ultra low-cost PCs, one effect of which will be to limit the hardware capabilities of this type of device.
Hitachi Wednesday is set to unveil a 320GB mobile computer hard disk drive that offers 60 percent more capacity and requires some 25 percent less power than its year-old predecessor .
Microsoft has warned users updating to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) that they won't be able to downgrade from Internet Explorer 7 to the older IE6 without uninstalling the service pack.
A Web measurement firm Wednesday blamed a massive online marketing campaign aimed only at nternet Explorer (IE) users for skewing its April data, which said Mozilla's Firefox and Apple's Safari had lost significant amounts of market share.
Researchers at Princeton University this week reported that they have found a way to literally melt away miniscule defects in computer chips, a discovery that could help manufacturers build more powerful processors.
A virtual uprising that broke out among developers questioning One Laptop Per Child's commitment to open-source software has prompted an official from the nonprofit effort to play peacemaker.
Advanced Micro Devices needs to more than double its share of the microprocessor market to survive, according to a brief filed by the company's lawyers in its antitrust lawsuit against Intel.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's pricey Surface Book is getting stomped by the ancient Surface Pro 3
- Alienware's tiny Alpha gaming PC gets bigger muscles... in the US
- Why Apple's new MacBook Pro needs more than just one USB-C port
- Asus ROG teases a massive gaming notebook that outperforms Titan X
- Chromebooks beat Mac notebooks 1.4-to-1 in U.S.
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCServiceNow DeveloperVIC
- FTSystems AnalystVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCOffice 365 Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Digital / MediaNSW
- CCTest LeadNSW
- FTFront End .Net Developer (.Net / Angular / Bootstrap)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - Marketing and Distribution systemsNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCWeb Developer (Drupal)SA
- CCIT Business AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Helpdesk Support- Remedy ticketing systemNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - BPRNSW
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- FTOracle Fusion Implementation ConsultantNSW
- CCSecurity Solution ArchitectQLD