Huawei’s challenge to Microsoft, Samsung and Apple in the premium tablet market, the MateBook, is an impressive little unit at first glance but will it be able to take on the established players and gain market share?
A new 6th-gen CPU, a new NVMe SSD, and USB-C make the refreshed XPS 13 more than a minor upgrade.
HP’s EliteBook Folio 1020 G1 Special Edition notebook has a 12.5in screen and weighs 1.04kg. That size and weight combination is a point of emphasis for this laptop, in addition to a strong build quality. Construction materials include magnesium-lithium alloy and carbon fibre, and there is a spill resistant keyboard with a drain installed to help counter those early morning coffee spills.
Finding the right laptop should be about feel and comfort as much as it is about specs. For many of us, the specs don’t matter that much. What we value most in a Windows-based laptop is easy portability, good keys, connectivity features, and something that can run basic tasks without much hassle. It could be said that the Asus ZenBook UX305 is appealing because of these factors.
Despite being a two-piece hybrid device that can be used as both notebook and tablet, HP’s Elite x2 feels more like a heavy notebook of old when you first pick it up and start using it. It’s of a small size (11.6 inches) and it has the sturdy build that HP is known for in its business laptops, but it could stand to be lighter given that it runs one of Intel’s silent-running Core M processors.
Dell’s Early 2015 version of the XPS 13 has undergone some changes compared to last year’s model, with the most notable change being a screen frame that’s only 5mm thick at the sides and across the top. It’s an efficient use of space that makes this 13.3in laptop one of the most compact on the market for its screen size, and it looks beautiful to boot.
Acer’s Aspire R13 is designed as a convertible laptop that can also be used as a tablet. Its screen flips all the way around on its hinge to facilitate the laptop-to-tablet transformation, and it’s a design that’s neat and to the point. But we did notice a few issues that are disappointing for a product with a $1999 asking price.
The last time we saw a 2-in-1 Toshiba Portege (the Z10t back in August 2013), we had a few concerns: its keyboard dock was unreliable during our tests, its battery life was short, and we found its configuration to be too noisy for our liking. Fast forward a couple of years and the Z20t is a brand new beast that rectifies a lot of what was questionable about the Z10t.
Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Carbon Ultrabook is back, and its design has largely reverted back to a business-classic status that should please long-time fans of the brand.
With the ASUS Zenbook UX303LN, you get an Ultrabook with oomph. It’s designed with the intention of providing better graphics than usual, thanks to the inclusion of a discrete NVIDIA GeForce 840M adapter, and it will at least give you an opportunity to run some games while still swinging a convenient thin-and-light form factor.
Lenovo is no stranger to making hybrid laptops with screens that can tilt all the way over to facilitate tablet mode. We saw it first in the original Yoga, and the concept proved to be so successful it spawned similar designs from other vendors, and even made its way into the business-centric ThinkPad Yoga. With the 13.3in Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook, the company has taken that same concept, but introduced a completely new hinge mechanism that makes the laptop thinner and lighter than ever before, while still enabling tablet functionality.
Saying that the Surface Pro 3 is the best Windows tablet on the market isn't a stretch, and it shouldn't come as a surprise. Microsoft has built on the Surface Pro 2 in a big way, starting with the screen size, and ending with the adjustable kickstand. It's a product that feels comfortable to use as a tablet; it's also not bad at all as a laptop thanks to its new physical features and a strong configuration.
We've been playing with Lenovo's sleek new Ultabook for almost one week now, and there is a heck of a lot to like about it. Apart from being capable of being used as a laptop or tablet, it also houses impressive specs, including a super-high-res screen.
Acer has released a version of its C720 Chromebook that has a touchscreen. The C720P-2600 Chromebook offers 10-point multi-touch screen, and its purpose is to give you a more interactive way of using the Chrome OS-based sub-notebook, if not for current Web-based apps, then for future uses.
Samsung proudly showcased its next generation of products in Bali at the Samsung Forum 2014. On display was a curved television that had UHD resolution, a new mirrorless camera, the line up of powerful Pro tablets and much, much more.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Why there was no Transformers: Dark of the Moon product tie-in from Lenovo
- Samsung unveils its minimalist N310 mini notebook (updated)
- Sony's ultra-slim laptop surfaces in Berlin
- Intel readying new chips for inexpensive ultraportables
- Kogan launches 10-inch, Linux-powered netbook
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectACT
- CCWindows EngineerVIC
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- CCSr. Project Manager- Infrastructure- Data Centre,VirtualizationNSW
- CCWebSphere Message BrokerACT
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCSenior Systems Integration Engineer (HIB)SA
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSr. SQL Server DBANSW
- CCSAP ABAP DeveloperNSW