Although Intel offered up few details about its upcoming Larrabee chip on Monday, analysts say the move puts rivals Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and Nvidia on notice that the competition is taking a new -- and maybe even more contentious -- turn.
A company is now selling what it calls the "world's cheapest laptop," which at US$130, is not a bad deal if you can bear some hardware limitations.
Intel Sunday announced that it has dropped the price of seven processors by up to 31 per cent.
Advanced Micro Devices is developing a low-power processor for mobile devices and sub-notebooks, the company confirmed Friday, quashing months of speculation that it had abandoned the project.
Intel will soon release a version of its Centrino 2 chip package for laptops that takes up less space, opening the door to more ultra-thin laptop designs like Apple's MacBook Air.
Despite a month long delay in shipping, analysts say Intel's first quad-core laptop processor will keep the chipmaker well ahead of arch rival Advanced Micro Devices.
Seagate Technology Thursday announced the industry's first 1.5TB desktop hard drive, as well as half-terabyte notebook hard drives based on PMR (perpendicular magnetic recording) technology.
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies is set Wednesday to unveil a new 3.5-in. hard disk drive family for desktop PCs. The company said the new line includes better data protection capabilities and 43% better idle power consumption than the Deskstar 7K1000 line.
The vague timetable that Microsoft gave Monday for pushing out Windows XP SP3 to most users got specific Tuesday as the company quietly said it would release the upgrade on Thursday.
University researchers have discovered a way to use nanotechnology to enable them to boil water much more quickly. And that, they say, will help them more efficiently cool computer chips, leading to more powerful and smaller machines.
Microsoft Monday laid to rest rumours that it might reconsider pulling Windows XP from retail shelves and most PC makers next Monday.
Toshiba Monday unveiled the first laptop computer to use the computing-intensive Cell chip that was first was designed for Sony's PlayStation 3 game console.
Toshiba on Tuesday launched a new ultraportable laptop that it claims is the world's lightest, putting it in contention with vendors including Apple and Lenovo.
The antitrust investigation of Intel begun by the Federal Trade Commission last week is unlikely to be resolved before the next administration takes office in Washington, an antitrust legal group predicted Thursday.
Western Digital Tuesday unveiled a new family of 3.5-in. hard drives offering capacities of 750GB and 1TB for desktop and multi-drive systems. Additionally, officials announced a repackaging of its hard drive product, which will now be offered in separate high-performance, energy efficient and so-called "best value" categories.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- With Larrabee chip, Intel takes swing at AMD, Nvidia
- 'World's cheapest laptop' now available
- Intel slashes chip prices up to 31 per cent
- AMD takes on Intel with its own low-power chip
- Intel to shrink Centrino 2 chips for thinner laptops
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Business Analyst- System/ Solution DevelopmentNSW
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- CCApplication Blueprinting Engineer ( Developer).ACT
- CCTraining Manager - SAP HR/ PayrollNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCAutomated Test EngineerACT
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCProject Manager / Business Analyst - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSiebel DeveloperNSW
- FTJapanese Speaking Technical Support EngineerNSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCElectronic Medications Management Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Change Manager, Wealth ManagementNSW
- FTTechnology Solutions Architect - CloudACT
- CCSenior Security AnalystACT
- FTWeb and Mobile iOS/Android Developer (Permanent)NSW
- CCCX Program LeadNSW
- CCAPI DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Manager, Data and InformationQLD
- FTSenior / Lead UX DesignerNSW
- CCDigital Producer | 3 Month Contract roleNSW
- FTAnalyst Programmer Investment BankingVIC
- FTSenior Financial Planner - GeelongVIC
- CCProject Manager - InfrastructureQLD
- FTMarketing Automation DeveloperVIC