As Google Inc. acknowledges that its engineers are working on an operating system for netbooks and PCs, analysts say it's the company in the best position to take on Microsoft Corp. and its vaunted Windows software.
Notebooks, PCs & Printers
Google's announcement Tuesday that it is developing an open-source operating system raised questions among privacy advocates about the amount of personal data Google will be able to collect.
Apple should be nervous about Google's move into the operating system market, some analysts said today. Others, however, argued that Apple executives won't lose a second of sleep.
The coming Google Chrome Web-centric operating system could be a big boon for telecom vendors and wireless operators looking for another way to drive demand.
Google plans to announce within the next day or so the names of PC makers in Taiwan and China that have already signed on to work with its new Chrome operating system, a spokeswoman said Wednesday.
Google is developing an open-source operating system targeted at Internet-centric computers such as netbooks and will release it later this year, the company said Wednesday.
Sony today took the first step into the netbook market, introducing the Vaio W line of mini laptops.
Just more than a year after it launches, Windows 7 will account for nearly half of all the client operating systems Microsoft ships to corporate users, according to forecasts by IDC.
Sony will begin selling its first netbook computer next month and in doing so enter the only sector of the PC market showing significant growth.
After being hampered by slow adoption, laptops with quick-boot capabilities may soon be upgraded with new features that could make them attractive to users.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Join the PC World newsletter!
Deals on PC World
- Office Hardware
Deals on PC World
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW