Google is developing an open-source operating system targeted at Internet-centric computers such as netbooks and will release it later this year, the company said Wednesday.
Notebooks, PCs & Printers
Sony today took the first step into the netbook market, introducing the Vaio W line of mini laptops.
Just more than a year after it launches, Windows 7 will account for nearly half of all the client operating systems Microsoft ships to corporate users, according to forecasts by IDC.
Sony will begin selling its first netbook computer next month and in doing so enter the only sector of the PC market showing significant growth.
After being hampered by slow adoption, laptops with quick-boot capabilities may soon be upgraded with new features that could make them attractive to users.
Despite Advanced Micro Devices' historical stance that it has no interest in the netbook space, PC makers continue to build the chip maker's processors into low-cost PCs.
Opera Software's CEO defended the Unite feature of the forthcoming Opera 10 browser against charges that it will increase the risk that hackers can break into people's PCs.
Netbook prices in the U.S. are tumbling as retail stores are offering the machines virtually for free, but with caveats attached to them.
Microsoft will finish Windows 7 a week from today and declare the operating system ready for "release to manufacturing," several Web sites have reported.
Psystar, the Mac clone maker embroiled in a legal dispute with Apple, asked a federal judge last week to dismiss its bankruptcy case, saying that it had been unable to reach a payment agreement with its law firm.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Skype is getting infused with conversational “bots”
- Anonabox promises a portable, streamlined way to use Tor to hide your online tracks
- LinkedIn aims to make email more professional, with LinkedIn Intro
- 5G will have to do more than send speed up your phone, Ericsson says
- Wireless world record: Researchers transfer data at 100Gbps through the air
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCITIL- Technical Release CoordinatorNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCETL DeveloperACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCSenior Change Analyst, WealthNSW
- CCOracle DBA with Solaris experienceNSW
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCIT Support Officer- SAP (tool experience)NSW
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCSenior Systems Integration Engineer (HIB)SA
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JBoss/J2EE/SQL) 160830/AP/193Asia
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW