Some small PC makers are paying a price for Windows 7 upgrades, but they have given a vote of confidence to the OS as it could deliver more profits by attracting buyers to purchase new systems.
Notebooks, PCs & Printers
Microsoft's limit on the number of computers eligible for free Windows 7 upgrades is "artificial" and "silly," an analyst said today, and may create just the situation the company hoped to avoid: stalled PC sales.
The ZigBee Alliance is working on a standard for products based on the wireless technology that can operate without batteries by harvesting energy from their environment, it said on Monday.
Apple CEO Steve Jobs has returned to work on schedule after taking a six-month leave of absence due to medical issues, the company said on Monday.
A U.S. judge on Friday denied an IBM request that would have barred a former executive from working at Dell over concerns that he would misappropriate trade secrets.
European customers will pay up to twice as much for Windows 7 compared to U.S. users, even though the new operating system will ship without a browser in Europe, according to Microsoft.
A long-awaited PC upgrade cycle among small and medium-sized businesses may lie just around the corner, according to an executive at a Taiwanese hardware maker.
Microsoft and online retailers today kicked off Windows 7 sales in the U.S., Canada and Japan, taking pre-orders at prices discounted by as much as 58 per cent.
Starting today, businesses and consumers who purchase copies of Windows Vista Home Premium, Business or Ultimate will be assured of an upgrade to Windows 7 at little or no cost, when the latter is released later this year.
Enterprises ready to restock with new PCs and take advantage of Microsoft's Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program might find the cost savings to be less than originally thought.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- SanDisk builds tougher flash for IoT devices
- It's official: HP will break itself in two
- Seagate launches 4TB portable drive with wireless smartphone backup
- Planned new USB connector will fit both ways
- Toshiba offers to buy failed SSD maker OCZ
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- FTCyber Security Sales Executive / Account DirectorNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCFacilities ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCProject Manager XPLANNSW
- CCInfra & Application Specialist/ Devops SpecialistNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- CCHead of Enterprise Organisational Change- GovernanceNSW
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC