Although Apple's climb in computer market share has been largely fuelled by its laptop lineup, other PC makers have done even better at boosting global laptop sales, according to a research firm.
Notebooks, PCs & Printers
Samsung claims that its UbiSync LCD monitor is the world's first USB-connected display, and needs no graphics card. The 19-inch 1280x1024 screen uses a software graphics adapter which it downloads to the PC when it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port.
Fujitsu is fortifying two models in its notebook line by offering the option of solid state drives for rugged applications like health care and aviation.
Hewlett-Packard built on its lead over Dell in the global notebook PC market for the fourth quarter of 2006, and Acer increased its lead over fourth-place Toshiba, according to an analyst report released Monday.
AMD is pushing a new motherboard format called DTX, which it says will allow system assemblers to build smaller PCs that are quieter and less wasteful of energy.
Dell is the first computer system supplier to ship 1 terabyte (1,000 gigabytes) hard drives targeted at users needing to store large amounts of digital media.
Windows Vista can be run for at least a year without being activated, a serious end run around one of Microsoft's key antipiracy measures, according to Windows expert, Brian Livingston.
Early users of Outlook 2007, the latest version of Microsoft's market-leading e-mail client, are voicing widespread complaints about the software's sluggish performance.
Nvidia will offer versions GeForce 7 graphics processors that are designed to be used on motherboards as part of a chipset, instead of the add-in graphics cards where the chips are currently available.
An Australian MacBook user reported Monday that his Apple laptop burst into flames, apparently because of a bad battery. He said that the laptop battery had not been on last year's recall list.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- FTSenior Business ConsultantNSW
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
- CCICT Infrastructure Specialist - (Network Engineer)ACT
- CCUX DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Portfolio Manager - IT ProjectsNSW
- FTWeb Programmer/ DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst (SCADA / CSI)VIC
- FTFunctional Business Analyst - Commodities and FX DomainNSW
- CCAEM DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCAndroid and iOS DevelopersVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCProject ManagerSA
- CCSolution Architect - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCIT Performance Test AnalystACT
- CCBusiness and Financial AnalystACT
- CCChange LeadNSW
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect - Network & InfrastructureNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCInformation ArchitectQLD
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - NV1 clearance mandatoryNSW