Scientists at IBM's Zurich Research Laboratory have developed a glue-application technique used to assemble chips that will keep them running cooler, the company said.
Notebooks, PCs & Printers
U.S. transportation officials last week warned travellers to take precautions when flying with battery-powered gear such as laptops and cell phones after two in-flight fires involving batteries were reported in the last six weeks.
A new low-level PC management standard is brewing, one that may eventually enable IT managers to remotely diagnose and fix malfunctioning machines -- even those that are turned off or unable to boot.
The launch of Windows Vista won't do much for PC sales this year, a research firm said Tuesday, with the new Microsoft operating system giving "at best, a limited boost" to PC units shipped during 2007.
Although Apple's climb in computer market share has been largely fuelled by its laptop lineup, other PC makers have done even better at boosting global laptop sales, according to a research firm.
Samsung claims that its UbiSync LCD monitor is the world's first USB-connected display, and needs no graphics card. The 19-inch 1280x1024 screen uses a software graphics adapter which it downloads to the PC when it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port.
Fujitsu is fortifying two models in its notebook line by offering the option of solid state drives for rugged applications like health care and aviation.
Hewlett-Packard built on its lead over Dell in the global notebook PC market for the fourth quarter of 2006, and Acer increased its lead over fourth-place Toshiba, according to an analyst report released Monday.
AMD is pushing a new motherboard format called DTX, which it says will allow system assemblers to build smaller PCs that are quieter and less wasteful of energy.
Dell is the first computer system supplier to ship 1 terabyte (1,000 gigabytes) hard drives targeted at users needing to store large amounts of digital media.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
- Start-up sells a stamp-sized Linux server for $5
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- IBM targets x86 server territory with new Power servers
- As Dell and HPE revamp, Lenovo sets sights on enterprise cloud servers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCAdobe AEM DeveloperVIC
- CCMS Dynamics CRM Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior Software Engineer Developer | 6mthsVIC
- CCProject Manager / Business Analyst - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCEOI - TIBCO DeveloperVIC
- FTPMO Coordinator - Permanent Opportunity!NSW
- CCTest EngineerQLD
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW
- CCMid-level .NET Developer/Programmer - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPMicrosoft BI DeveloperWA
- CCSystems Engineer -SOE/VDIACT
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- CCProject Manager :ApplicationsWA
- CCConsumer Social Specialist / Campaign Manager (Digital)VIC
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterQLD
- TPSAP HR Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD
- TPFrontend DeveloperNSW
- CCService Desk OfficerSA
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- CCSiebel Developers x 8ACT
- FTPMO Lead/ ManagerVIC
- CCSAP Hana and UI5 ConsultantsACT
- CCService Desk/Helpdesk ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperNSW