Windows Vista's firewall can easily be subverted because of design decisions made by Microsoft, a researcher at Symantec said Friday.
Security experts are urging users of Symantec antivirus software to update it to combat a new variant of the worm known as either Rinbot or Delbot, depending on what naming convention is used.
Microsoft's Windows Live OneCare came in dead last out of a group of 17 antivirus programs tested against hundreds of thousands of worms, viruses, Trojan horses and other malware, an Austrian antivirus researcher reported Wednesday.
A security firm has discovered one of the first security flaws to directly affect Windows Vista, a bug that it claims allows local users to escalate their privileges.
Windows Vista's revamped security features are posing difficulties for some IT security vendors looking to make their software work on the new operating system.
Windows Vista delivers on some of the security improvements Microsoft promised for it, but there are still a host of ways attackers can exploit the OS and leave users open to threats, according to findings by Symantec.
In a paper he plans to discuss Wednesday at the Black Hat DC 2007 conference, noted database security researcher David Litchfield is expected to outline a new attack method against Oracle databases that boosts the danger to unpatched systems.
A new version of the Storm e-mail virus is populating blogs and online bulletin boards with links directing people to a Web site that is propagating the worm, representing a new mode of attack for hackers seeking financial gain, according to a securi...
The former legal counsel for McAfee is facing federal charges of improperly backdating stock options at the security software company.
Microsoft's much-touted security enhancements in Windows Vista have made it a safer operating system than previous versions of Windows, but it is still open to attack from legacy malicious code.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- IEEE sets new Ethernet standard that brings 5X the speed without disruptive cable changes
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
- 5 ways Cisco could become an iPhone's best friend
- Skype is getting infused with conversational “bots”
- Anonabox promises a portable, streamlined way to use Tor to hide your online tracks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCApplication Programmer - Software - Geospatial and Industrial EnterpriseVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCLead DevOps Architect l AWS- Cloud- Linux- Puppet Ansible- JIRA-DatadogNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Business AnalystQLD
- CCMicrosoft Systems EngineerVIC
- TPSharePoint DeveloperVIC
- CCService Desk Consultant-Baseline Clearance RequiredNSW
- CCSenior Applications Project Manager - Office 365QLD
- FTBI Tech Lead l Informatica ETL , Microstrategy, Big Data TechnologiesNSW
- TPDynamics CRM Technical Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCTest ManagerVIC
- FTChange ManagerACT
- CCDevops EngineerVIC
- CCProcess Business Analyst X 3VIC
- CCProject Manager - EDRMS ProjectQLD
- TPTest ManagerQLD
- CCVirtualization ArchitectACT
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Engineer - Finance PackagesQLD
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- CCSCRUM MasterVIC
- CCeLearning Support Officer - Moodle/Google appsACT
- CCSystems EngineerQLD
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW